Topic

Ruidoso bears

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ruidoso bears

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

Gonna be west of Ruidoso this weekend. Any bear sightings near Argentina Peak, Nogal, White Horse Hill this year or recent years? I have no problem hanging a bear bag 100m from camp, but do i really need bear repellent? really?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Yep.

I saw two bears within a mile of Argentina Peak along the Crest last August and September, they ran off at my sight, not sure if it was my smell or my looks.

"Bear repellent"!?

Y'all ain't from around here are ya?

It's the Sacramento's, not the Northern Rockies- bear spray is NOT required or recommended in the White Mountain Wilderness, just be wise about your food, cook away from camp if you're concerned. I have never bear bagged my food at camp in New Mexico wilderness areas, in fact, it usually makes a fairly decent pillow.

Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

you're right, that's why i asked. i usually use a 44 magnum for bear repellent but don't like the weight…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools