Topic

Window shrink insulation as ground cloth? Same as Gossamer Gear Polycryo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Window shrink insulation as ground cloth? Same as Gossamer Gear Polycryo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Having searched, I see that some believe it is the same stuff…perhaps the same as the window insulation made for the "inside" (there's an inside & outside kit).

Anyone have experience with this window insulation? Durable enough to lay my NeoAir directly on top? Should I go for the "inside" or "outside" window kit and why?

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I believe I have the interior kit although the package I purchased didn't really seem to indicate whether it was intended for exterior use or not. I have spent a handful of nights on this material and I have developed quite a bit of confidence in it. I would think as long as you removed sticks and pine cones that you would be perfectly fine putting your airmat directly on the film.

Betsy Frazier

@dustydeva

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

I have also wondered if the window shrink insulation was the same as the Gossamer Gear Polycryo sheet. I have been using the window shrink outdoor insulation as a ground cloth for the past year and it has handled a wide variety of conditions so far. And oh, so light! I recently read that the window shrink indoor insulation is supposed to be stronger but the outdoor stuff has worked so far. I am still curious if it is the same stuff as Gossamer Gear's Polycryo sheet though.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I have been using Duck Brand window film insulation. I can't tell the difference between it and Polycro.

It comes in multiple sizes on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1299529-Indoor-5-Window–210-Inch/dp/B000NHY1P0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1339044703&sr=8-6). My local Home Depot and Ace Hardware didn't carry any window film when I looked back in March.

Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

I am also now using the Duck brand shrink film. Best deal.

Seems to work well. I also use a NeoAir, but my NeoAir has one extra level of protection as I sleep with it inside of a TiGoat bivy with a silnylon floor.

I think this stuff works fine as a ground cloth with a NeoAir as long as you do a good job of completely clearing the area of any sticks, pinecones, acorns, pebbles, etc. If that isn't possible, at least put a layer of leaves or pine needles over where you are going to put this.

Because this stuff doesn't breathe at all, expect the underside to be very wet from condensation in the mornings. No big deal as you can shake it out and hang it to dry while you eat breakfast.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“Should I go for the "inside" or "outside" window kit and why?”

The ‘outside’ version is thicker and heavier than the ‘inside’ version.
    The ‘outside’ version takes up more volume in your backpack.
    I think the GG stuff more resembles the ‘inside’ version.
    So how durable do you want it? That ‘outside’ stuff is strong!
    I just take the ‘inside’ stuff since it lasts long anyway and takes up less space.

Ditto on the other remarks of moisture on the bottom. It’s a moisture and dirt magnet. But for the weight and strength, it’s worth hanging it out on a tree at lunch break, let it dry, and shake off the dirt.

-Barry
    -The mountains were made for Teva’s

Edit: be sure to allow for shrinkage when drying in the sun. I.e., cut bigger than needed.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks to all for the replies. Most helpful! Sounds like the "inside" stuff is the ticket for me. Now, for a trip to the hardware store…….

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I also use "inside" window film as ground sheet, and have always heard it's identical to "polycryo" from GG. Works great–surprisingly durable. I consider lack of breathability an advantage–I want my ground sheet to be waterproof, and I certainly don't want ground moisture in my sleep system (I use a floorless shelter).

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks for the additional input, David. I'm excited to try this stuff.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Rusty,

I used my window insulation to make a tarp out of and it's been holding up just fine. I also use a small piece as a ground cloth.

I LOVE this stuff.

Glen Van Peski
    BPL Member

@gvanpeski

Locale: San Diego

Generally the answer is yes. Polycryo is industrial grade shrink wrap. There are different formulations available, including different material properties and thicknesses. We get ours on huge rolls, then cut and package it.

Oh yeah, and I did get the idea years ago from Dan Johnson's brother Don 'Photon' Johnson…

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thank you Dan for your input. And thank you Glen for the clarification.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools