Topic

Help deciding size of sleeping pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help deciding size of sleeping pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Viggo Liljefors

@vane505

Hi!

I'm about to buy a sleeping pad and I'm not sure on what size to get. I'm 185cm tall and I've decided on going full length, but because I got a long sleeping bag (193cm) I'm not sure if I should get the medium sized sleeping pad that's 183x52cm or the longer/wider one that's 197×65 so that the sleeping pad wont touch the ground. I'm going to sleep in cold weather were the night temperature most often goes below freezing point and my tent is pretty wide (185cm). Which one would you recommend? Thank you!

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Viggo,

I think the answer for your question might come down to your style of sleeping. If you tend to stay in one place then you could go with the shorter and narrower pad and save some weight. I tend to move around so I went with the large neoair. I try to bring whatever I can to help me sleep comfortably and reduce weight in other areas.

Viggo Liljefors

@vane505

Thank you for your response. I'm somewhat of a mover when I sleep, and I'm leaning towards the long version now although it weights 200g more.

If the sleeping bag touches the ground, will it affect the temperature in the sleeping bag? I'm thinking that as I'm using a long sleeping bag (193cm), so ~8cm will reach outside the sleeping pad and touch the floor (although my feet would probably not touch that section, as I'm 185cm tall and the regular sized pad is 183cm). Even if my feet wont touch the colder section, I'm worried that it would lower the temperature in the bag. As mentioned, it goes below freezing point at night where I'm camping.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

above. If you think that you will be fine with the shorter pad, just put your empty pack under the footend to provide some insulation when you stretch out. You may find though that a little longer/wider pad is a whole lot more comfortable to sleep on and thus worth the weight penalty. YMMV of course.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm 77-in tall and use a 72-in air mattress. I put my sit pad, a 9×14-in piece cut from a cheap-o CCF pad, at the foot of the pad to insulate if/when my feet go off the end. But I'm mostly a side sleeper, so 90% of the night I'm using less than the full length of the air pad anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools