Topic

fire kit in checked bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Locale: Southeast mountains

I'm flying to California next week to hike in Kings canyon and as I was packing my gear I was stumped as to whether I can pack my fire kit in my checked bags. Fire kit consists of matches in a prescription bottle, lighter, and vaseline cotton balls. Pretty simple question but I didn't want to inadvertantly start the plane on fire. Any thoughts.

Keegan D

@nageek18

Locale: Bay Area

It's pretty easy to buy a bic lighter and matches in any store once you get here if you are worried about bringing those items on a plane.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I never had any issue with lighters or matchs in checked or carry on baggage, for firestarting I would use lint out of a tumble dryer.

Will Webster

@willweb

TSA says matches and lighters are allowed in carry-on but not checked luggage. I don't think firestarters are allowed at all, but if you carry the Vaseline and cotton balls separately they're health & beauty products.

Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Locale: Southeast mountains

The TSA rule was what I was searching for thanks for the responses. I agree could always buy this kind of thing when I get there, just curious as to what the rules are.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools