Topic

Pole for bivy hoop?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pole for bivy hoop?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Making a hoop bivy for spring/summer mountaineering, and not sure what to use for a hoop. Easton poles don't seem like they would be flexible enough (60" length/36" diameter), and a 5 foot delrin rod doesn't seem like the most packable thing in the world. Any advice/experience?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I did that with 0.34 inch Easton, several sections

I went to polesforyou.com in Vancouver WA and they bent them on a simple plywood jig. In use, I bend them a little more.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

5ft of Delrin isn't all that packable, but what about in 1.7ft sections or so? You could run shock cord through Delrin tube and use ferrules to attach them to each other.

I used kite spar (.125" fiberglass rod) in 3 sections with titanium ferrules. It works okay for the hoop, but without shock cord, it's a little hard to set up.

Kevin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools