Topic

First Aid Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont First Aid Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Delcher

@efd57

Locale: Northern New Jersey

I've seen threads on most of the needed crew gear (tarps, tents, stoves, pots, bear bags, bear bag ropes, water filters, etc.). Everything except first aid kits!

There is a list of recomended items in the Guidebook to Adventure.

What have you taken?

Was it inspected by a ranger?

Was it one package or several split amongst the trek?

Anything special on your "must have" list?

Thanks
    Ernie

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

I did a trek in 2007 & 2008. I did a cavalcade in 2010. Each time, I only had to show that I had a first aid kit. It wasn't inspected.

We suggested to our crews that they each carry a few bandages & blister care in a small ziplok baggie. That supplemented our main kit carried by leader w/ Wilderness First Aid training. In my experience in the Philmont backcountry, you have a lot of minor problems – blisters, upset stomach, etc – or you need a medivac. The minor problems are annoying. The medivac episode we had (heat exhaustion/unconscious Scout) really scared us. Since that 2008 medivac episode, we haven't been on a High Adventure trip that we didn't also have a SPOT emergency beacon with us (09 Northern Tier, 10 Cavalcade, 11 Sea Base, our planned 2012 Northern Tier trek, and three Grand Canyon & Big Bend backpack trips).

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

We take an Adventure Medical kit that has a very similar list to the Guidebook one.
    Our kit was not inspected last time, the ranger just confirmed that we had one.
    We keep the troop kit in one package and the advisor with the Wilderness First Aid training carries it (it's pretty light).

Nothing special on the 'must haves', but we do encourage every scout to bring their own small 1st aid kit with blister care, adhesive bandages, something for upset stomach and maybe a few Advil (or similar).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools