Topic

Indian Peaks Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Indian Peaks Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    danny chough

@puffdc

Locale: Republic of Boulder

Hi, I just moved to Boulder recently and am looking to explore this area. Can you guys recommend some trails for backpacking? Thanks in advance,
    DC

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Two classic loops come to mind.

I'm going to be lazy and post links to my site. ;)

The Pawnee-Buchanan Loop is always good:
    http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-loops-%E2%80%93-mags-favorites#Pawnee-Buchanan-Passes

Roughly 27 miles (29 if you do the Crater Lake out-and-back) this is a classic loop in the IPW. Twice over the divide, sub-alpine lakes, GORGEOUS wildflowers and less than an hour's drive from Boulder. Love it so.. :)

Another equally classic loop is the Arapaho Pass and Devil's Thumb Loop:
    http://www.pmags.com/devils-thumb-loop-indian-peaks-wildernes

This loop is a little more chill, but also great scenery. You also get to go along the 'official' CDT for a bit. The views from Devil's Thumb Pass are quite awesome.

There are others as well, but these two are a nice introduction.

The only down side for ANY IPW backpacking is that the trailheads can be crowded and the first five miles as well. Once you are pass the initial five miles, the people drop off considerably.

danny chough

@puffdc

sweet! i'll definitely try the pawnee-buchanan loop first. thanks again for the input!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

There is still some remnants of snow esp in the north facing wooded areas.

Not as bad as previous years, but just something to keep in mind.

Also, the Brainard Lake gate is not open yet..not until "mid June"
    http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34980&sid=81d8eb4e9020950fd8e7a07ec8e289ba&start=12

(Probably the 15th)

If you are jonesing for something NOW, may I suggest the Lost Creek Wilderness?

Many people who live in our neck of Colorado make the LCW their first backpacks of the season. Wonderful place that melts out quicker than other areas. The Bison-McCurdy Ridge is among my favorite ridge walks in Colorado.

danny chough

@puffdc

gotcha. i'm going early july…

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The Bison-McCurdy Ridge is among my favorite ridge walks in Colorado.

Big +1 on that one Paul. The place is just amazing. For those unfamiliar with the area, check the weather forecast before you go. It's not a place you want to be when the lightning strikes.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Danny – make sure you visit the ranger station in Boulder to secure permits before your trip. Permit season is June 1 – September 15, and the rangers do check them both on packs and on tents.

I was in IPW last week, took the 4th of July trail over Arapaho Pass. I was told by the rangers that it's the only pass that is open without needing crampons and an ice axe. That information was corroborated by a hiker who had tried Pawnee Pass over Memorial Day weekend. My preferred route – Caribou Pass trail – wasn't accessible due to snow and strong winds, so I cut down to Caribou Lake instead. Most campsites were still snow covered.

I'm heading back out in three weeks to do the Buchanan Pass / Pawnee Pass loop. Will report back on conditions afterwards.

Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

I just did the King's lake-Devil's thumb loop over memorial day weekend. It was surprisingly uncrowded and the scenery was fantastic! There is still a lot of snow when you get up to 11-12k ft and I was very glad I had brought my gaiters.
    It is a trail I would highly recommend.

Here is a shot on the way up to Devil's thumb:
    On the way up to Devi'l thumb

danny chough

@puffdc

Good advice. I will be up there(Buchanan/Pawnee) the first week of July so maybe i'll run into you? I'm suprised to hear that there is still so much snow up there since its been such a mild snow year. Likewise, i'll do the same…

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I'll be out there about 10 days before you, and at this time of year that can make all the difference in conditions. It's still very early in the season, and most routes aren't fully open before end of June / early July in normal snow years. I've heard snowmelt is about 4 weeks ahead of schedule. I've done Buchanan Pass and Crater Lake before, but Gourd Lake and Pawnee Pass will be new to me. Great scenery, whatever the weather. If you can, avoid weekends, especially for a permit at Crater Lake.

danny chough

@puffdc

Ok, i'm leaning towards doing the Devils Thumb Lake via Hessie Trailhead. Any advise on this hike?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools