Topic

Waterproof Backpack Liner/cover

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproof Backpack Liner/cover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    che gra

@shovelopikis

im new here, so sorry if im posting in wrong board

im worried that a downpour or river crossing will get inside my pack
    (would be easier to cross/swim stream/river first and then pull bag over with rope)

but im not sure
    dry bags are real expensive, and only cover inside the bag

is there something i can make that will be cheap and cover either entire backpack or inner contents of backpack?
    i have a 80l cylinder shaped one, no side pockets
    it has a waterproof cover, but that wont save it from being submurged in a river

any help regarding this would be wonderful

thankyou

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

If I were in a situation where I potentially have to swim cross a river and couldn't touch the bottom, I would have a dry bag that would fit the essentials- eg. Sleeping bag, clothes, food, electronics. I would look into a big dry bag from zpacks or make your own.

che gra

@shovelopikis

thanks
    i was just going to use food zip lock bags for important items in bag since they are cheaqp and great to use

but even the backpack would get wet…making it damp to carry around, not to mention heavier

i think i would need a big over bag that was waterproof for my back pack

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

We carry a large garbage bag each. If there is a serious river crossing to be done, or some swimming down the river, we carefully repack everything inside the garbage bag.
    Works just fine for us.
    Also very light and very cheap.

Cheers

che gra

@shovelopikis

i was thinking of doing that!
    but thought it may not work/needed someone with experiance if it works

but i would need it inclose my backpack too…dont want it getting wet and weighing me down

how do you make it waterproof though?
    is there something you can do to make a tie/knot in a certain way at the opening so that my backpack/contents would be watertight?

would be good if i can trap air inside too…floating it across with rope would be great

please let me know :)
    thanks!

che gra

@shovelopikis

not sure how to PM but it would be great to know how you did it Roger

or anyone else if they know???

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Just leave a little space at the top, twist it closed, then tuck the twist somewhere where it won't come undone. Works for me, though I've never swam a creek like that.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> something you can do to make a tie/knot in a certain way at the opening so that my
    > backpack/contents would be watertight?

Very, very complex … Not. :-)

Crumple the neck of the plastic bag together hard, fold it over once or twice (important), and then wrap a heavy rubber band around it several times, so it is tight. Works for us. (We use the big rubber bands the local post office use to bundle mail together … $0.)

Cheers

che gra

@shovelopikis

thanks for all the help guys, think im all sorted in this department now :)

thanks again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools