Topic

Kings Canyon question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Ok, I went on this 7 day loop hike in High School and I only have "checkpoints" that was in the photo album my dad has of the trip. i'm trying to figure out what trail we did. We did stay at one campsite in the middle for 2 nights and did a long day hike up to a pass from there.

any of you Cali folks recognize these spots?

start: Big Tree Campground

1 Sphynx Crossing
    2 Vidette Meadow
    3 Kearsage pass
    4 charlotte lake, bullfrog lake, falls
    5 Sphyx, charlotte creek
    6 Avalanche pass
    7 Mist falls.

Jake

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

These places are well known, but they don't fit into any known trail in that sequence.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Sounds like the Rae lakes loop with a possible side trip up to avalanche pass. I suspect that the campground was where you styled then you drove to onion valley trailhead for the start of the trip over kearsarge pass. It all makes sense.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Greg that seems right.. the mileage and stuff fits. It was a long time ago and I wasn't part of the planning so it was just a nice walk for me. We did finish a day early and got to stand on the 9th green at Pebble and see Carmel beach

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

yea this is the rae lakes loop starting from onion valley. if you are talking 'trails', you were on the john muir trail, paradise valley trail(woods creek trail), kearsarge pass trail, and bubbs creek trail.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Thanks guys! It was a cool trip but remembering details from like 97 is tough. That was still my longest trip and first(only) time seeing a bear in the woods.

Looking at the pictures is painful.. i definitely carried my own 1man tent ~3.5lb, 15 degree syn bag 3-4lb, full leather boots, 4-5lb 60L pack etc.. i think i started with 30-35lb while i was at 120lbs.

i'd love to do the whole JMT sometime or pretty much anything out there. it's just totally different environment than what i'm used to in the Northeast.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"if you are talking 'trails', you were on the john muir trail, paradise valley trail(woods creek trail), kearsarge pass trail, and bubbs creek trail."

Jason, how do you get Avalanche Pass out of that?

–B.G.–

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

One of the passes was a day hike from a fairly large campsite with bear boxes that we stayed at for a few days.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

"Jason, how do you get Avalanche Pass out of that?"

+sphinx creek trail side trip.. soooooorrry bob ;)

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.74855,-118.5601&z=14&b=t

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

Should have went to sphinx lakes instead of avalanche pass!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!