Topic

SHR section from Gaylor Lakes to Shepards Crest ?’s.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion SHR section from Gaylor Lakes to Shepards Crest ?’s.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Howdy,
    I have a few days to hike from Tioga Pass, over Shepards Crest and to Tuolumne via McCabe/Young Lakes. Will be starting June 14 or so. I plan to go as far as snow conditions allow.

My question regards Fantail Lake. Has anyone stayed high from Great Sierra Mine and traversed over to Spuller Lake, skipping Fantail? Looks doable on the 7.5 minute Tioga Pass quadrangle I have. Am I missing something?

Thanks, stephan

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

snow will not be an issue by then. I was up at rae lakes last weekend and there was just a little left on the north side of glen pass. 3 weeks later id imagine it will be all but gone

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Like Jason I don't believe snow will be much of an issue.

Not sure if I understand your question regarding Fantail. Ropers HSR traverses above Fantail and goes to Spuller just as you describe. Fantail is a nice enough lake, but it does have a trail leading to it. If you want to remain off-trail in the back country it makes sense to bypass it.

Have you read Roper's short article describing the exact trip you are planning: http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-yosemite-hiking-family-camping-sidwcmdev_053972.html

This is a fantastic mostly off-trail trip. Many of the lakes including Gaylor, Cascade, McCabe, and Youngs have trails to them so while the route is mostly off-trail, it isn't quite as remote as he describes.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Katy,
    You're correct, I could use a Roper Guide book. The map I downloaded from onthetrail.org showed a "detour" to Fantail. Thanks for the link.
    I first used a Roper guide for climbing when I moved to Yosemite Valley in '84. Just around the time the yellow Meyers guide came out, as I remember.

stephan

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

I was confused as I was assuming you had Roper's High Sierra Route book in front of you. Apparently you don't, but have picked out the same route as Roper just from looking at the topo. Who am I to say, as it sounds like you have far more experience than I, but I think you know what you're doing Stephan.

I also have an inkling where the detour reference comes from. In the book Roper discusses the lack of legal camping between Tuolumne and Cascade lake. He has two suggestions:
    Find a small patch of dirt right next to High Sierra Mine that he claims is legal
    Or hike down to Fantail Lake, pick up the trail and follow it until you reach the signed boundary of Hall Natural Area and make sure to camp on the legal side of the sign.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Katy,
    Thanks for the compliment.

I used the word detour to be kind. The map showed Fantail as being part of the route, and as i examined the topo, I saw another option.

Off trail in The High Sierra is often in wide open spaces. You can see where you are going, as well as where you've been. Stay off the cliff bands and you are good to go.

stephan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools