Topic

Any way to lighten the way I carry my caldera cone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Any way to lighten the way I carry my caldera cone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have a caldera cone and an MSR Titanium pot. The cone comes in a plastic container that screws together and holds the pepsi can stove, the cone, and I can fit my alcohol and some matches in there as well. Not too bad. But except for keeping the cone from being destroyed and all the items together it's really just extra weight.

Is there some way I can ditch the plastic container to save a little weight yet not leave the cone vulnerable to damage?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The caldera cone comes in two varieties, aluminum or titanium. The aluminum one is pretty easy to mash, so the plastic container is almost necessary. A few users have tried a smaller diameter plastic container. The titanium variety is a lot harder to mash. Some users roll it up and carry it in a fabric bag or cuben fiber bag. It is still possible to mash it, depending on where this goes in your backpack.

I think it would be better if the plastic container did not have the screw threads. It would be less secure, but it would be better for eating and cleaning.

–B.G.–

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I have the aluminum one in case anyone else has a suggestion. A bag might work if I can find something longer for my alcohol.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Piper, if you have an alcohol bottle that is the right size, you can wrap the aluminum caldera cone around it for transport. However, I'm thinking that is a pretty large alcohol bottle and it might be heavy. There is nothing that says that the alcohol bottle has to be full.

–B.G.–

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I've seen people cut the bottom off soda bottles, and store the rolled cone inside it.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I carry mine in a "Smart Water" bottle that Russ gave me when he made my cone.

It works well because unlike most water bottles it is a simple, perfect cylinder with a flat bottom. Cut the top off and the cone and a bunch of other stuff fit right in there. A 12-10 stove nests into the top if you invert it.

Weighs almost nothing.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Include aluminum beverage cans with the top cut off. With a Reflectix cozy and a silicon sipper ring, this type of caddy becomes an insulated drinking mug as well.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

A cheap plastic fountain soda cup works well too.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The CC caddy is food grade and can take boiling water.
    So I use the top as a cup and all of it to re-hydrate my food.
    (not always as I also use the plastic vacuum bags)
    But if that does not work for you, yes just use 1.25 L a soda bottle (cut the top part off )
    Franco

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I've thought about using the caddy for eating but I always just eat out of my pot. I really wish I could just fit the whole deal inside my pot. That would take up a lot less space. But alas, not possible. I love the cone though and don't want to give it up!

I stepped on my little stove, though! Straightened it back upright with dental tools and pliers. Hopefully it will still work.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

There's always the option of spending some $'s to purchase the Caldera Sidswinder system so everything will fit in your pot. Sell your other system here and the cost of the Sidewinder will be less painful.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have owned several cones. For me using alcohol or Esbit means that I am just boiling water for freezer bag cooking or hot drinks. The best set-up I have found is the GVP kit where the cone fits inside the Fosters can. I tried going the pot route and ended up damaging the aluminum cone, precisely the issue you are trying to overcome. The alternative is one of the two-piece cone setups that fit into your MSR pot.

I keep the kit in a cuben sack. So the entire kit is under 4 oz.

GG cone

Adam Ghahate
    Spectator

@zerog

Locale: (null)

While this method doesn't protect the cone from being crushed. It does hold everything together quite nicely for a weight of .8oz. and much more durable than a rubber band. I store my cone in the side pocket of my pack and the duct tape covers help keep the cone from cutting or tearing up my pockets. I can also store small items like my lighter, measuring cup, and spoon inside or strapped under the tape on the outside. Caldera Cone Gorilla Tape Caddy 2 Caldera Cone Gorilla Tape Caddy 1 Caldera Cone Gorilla Tape Caddy 3

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you use a CCF foam sleeping pad, you can roll it up in the pad.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools