Topic

Cuben Fiber = Backpacker Crack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben Fiber = Backpacker Crack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

I think that this is one of those times that you get insomnia and think up something stupid like the subject heading. Just hearing that phrase makes you want to read about whatever is the new pack, tarp, fly, bivy whatever as we look at our checking account and try to figure out how to hide the purchase from our non-addicted spouses.

Ramblings at 2:00 in the morning as I await BMW's new Cocoon whatever and MLD's new stuff.

I think that I am one of the worst crackheads because I am involved in photography and bicycles also!

My wife usually makes a comment about "more buttons!"

Randy of the shiny new gadget.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Randy,
    You were wondering aloud how to temporarily conceal your new purchases..

One of the old timers here had sage advice; If I may quote his(or her) old post here:

"..every married man knows that the gear must be stored out of sight in cryptically marked non-translucent containers (like old cardboard boxes to attract the least attention from the better half). Out of sight; out of mind. I find discretion is the better part of valor.

Gear only is spotted when it's time to take it out, to pack for a trek, from where it has been surreptitiously sequestered away anxiously awaiting its next use. Then, you only have to deal with comments like, "Is that a new headlamp?" To which one can honestly reply, "No. I've had it for quite a while and just started using it."

Good advice which I also used in a past life.

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

I have worked out a deal with getting new equipment………..

Any money that I gain by the sale of any already owned equipment shall not be counted towards my sins as a husband.

I think that I am getting off easy.

Randy

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Brett,

Did your wife get in the way of your backpacking or did your backpacking get between you and your wife? ;)

I ask (in a funny way) because I have been lucky enough to either have girlfriends that love backpacking or ones that know that backpacking is a

"Non-Negotiable Item"

Randy

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

..short answer, yes. But that's another website.

mark henley

@flash582

I had one of those once upon a time.

I was happily married for about 5 years ….. but I was with her for 20. She'd car camp but backpacking was out.

Like the young fool that I was, I succumbed to the pressure, "for the sake of the kids".

My new wife understood from the beginning that Backpacking was "Not optional". I don't require her to go, although buying her a nice kit of her own keeps her interest in my purchases at a more "that's cool" level instead of a complaining one.

Jon Priest

@jwetzelp

Locale: Central Arkansas

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a special deal, account, covert op., or other arrangement with their S/O for backpacking purchases? Now, granted, pretty much everything is cost-prohibitive to us so a gear "addiction" is out of the question, but if I need something (or even want REAL bad) my wife and I discuss it and she is usually OK with that. She realizes that backpacking is a passion of mine and she likes seeing me happy while I'm immersed in it. I guess I'm just really lucky. *shrug*

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jon:

You are lucky. But I have the next best thing. I am blissfully single. :)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I think I read that with Cuban Fiber you get heart burn but you stay regular.

Better more expensive backpacking gear than Wild Women, Whiskey and Cigareets.

mark henley

@flash582

But it's hell to get it to mix with Water

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Then there's the other end of the spectrum. My girlfriend has a masters in Nuclear Chemistry and is the epitome of the tinkerer. After looking at and playing with my gear for an extended period of time, she eventually got a parttime job at REI just like me, so she could afford to feed her new gear addiction. Unfortunately, she hasn't learned yet to pace herself like this old salt. I keep trying to explain to her it's just not acceptable to spend MORE than your paycheck on new gear every pay day!

Oh well, as least we'll eventually move to a bigger place so we can house our gear!

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

My wife has actually financed many of my gear purchases; she didn't intend to, but she did. For years, she'd come home from a shopping trip and tell me how much money she'd saved me. One day, I showed up with a new tent. She promptly asked the price and "where did you get the money for it?" I explained that I simply made a withdrawal from that savings account she'd been building up. She's never objected to a piece of new gear since.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, since 'everyone' is going off topic…

I was serving as a juror one time, and when we were all supposed to re-assemble after our lunch break, one lady juror came back 45 minutes late! The judge asked her what happened. Whatever intelligence she lacked, she more than made up for with her enthusiasm — she went on and on about this great sale that she went to. The judge asked her how much she saved. "$300 at least", she beamed. The judge then fined her $300!!!

We all tried not to laugh, but we just couldn't help it…

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

It's sailors crack too…….but imagine buying 600 square feet of it.

Between sailing, shooting, and skiing……backpacking is the cheapest of my addictions…..

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I just had to read this post because I thought "Backpacker crack" was something similar to "Builders crack", and that maybe someone had ill-advisedly made some slippery and see-through shorts out of Cuben Fiber…

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I have a good resolution for you big spenders.
    Buy a sewing machine and start making your own gear.

You will be able to save money even while buying the expensive stuff, because it is takes time to sew the gear. Your limited on the time you can spend on your new hobby.

This works for me.
    During the the off season I usually make 1 or 2 – $100 orders over a 2 month period. That's about all I have time to sew.
    It also gives you a better feeling of ownership when you MYO gear.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My wife shops for clothes; I shop for backpacking and fishing gear. Sounds like a fair tradeoff to me.

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T

I've been taking all my daily loose change and putting it into a jar. At the end of the month I empty the jar and count the change, at which time, no matter how much or little is in there, I buy the stuff anyway.
    But It makes me feel better. Delusional?
    Crack does that, right?

Jay McCombs
    BPL Member

@jmccombs

Locale: Southwest

When I tell my wife I'm waiting for the new hooded cocoon she looks at me and says "you've already bought three new jackets this year, why do you need a fourth?" Why doesn't my wife understand that an insulated layer, a waterproof shell, and a windshirt are all different and not "jackets"

life…

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I spent half my money on gear, the other half I just wasted.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Hi, my name is Denis. I'm a gear additct.

You only spent HALF your money on gear? The wasted half you probably spent on food, or some such nonsense. Among my backpacking friends I'm the "gearfreak". Currently I have 6 bags, 7 tents, 1 tarp, 3 bivies, 9 packs and 11 stoves.The gear closet overflows into the kitchen and second bathroom. I mean, how many toilets does one person need? If I had a wife I'd probably be lucky to have the one of each piece of gear that I actually use.

Janet Brewster

@jgranite25

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I'm with Benjamin — it helps to be single and in command of your own destiny, I mean debt. Although, while other women are spending $450 on Manolo Blahniks, I'm spending $450 on La Sportivas….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools