Topic

solo winter tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) solo winter tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I am not convinced that 24" tent width can be "a lot of room" for someone with 24" shoulders — although I can appreciate the fact that people have different needs for space…

I think you should send your tent over here for an objective examination. :)

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T

David
    I am 5'10", 190 lbs (most of this weight is around my waste)
    The Akto has plenty enough room for a full pad and bag.
    Hang a light from the center clip (provided) and a small pocket for stuff on one side. Unless you use the fly without the inner tent, you will not need the foot printed ground cloth. But it's nice to have.
    The vestibule is ample for cooking and shelter for your pack.
    After the past week (7 days)of rain, snow and freezing rain the tent shook out and packed up like new. I'd like to find some better tent stakes than they provide (soft aluminum)
    They are already bent like pretzels.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Akto in the snow

Lots of room for me at 6'1" 192 lbs. Just had to stretch out in it today. Vestibule is huge for a tent this size.
    Snow in the photo is about knee deep.

John Baird

@jbaird

Looks good John, and your using the footprint.
    and 6'1" is no problem when sitting up?

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I am a long backed 6'1" and as long as I don't try to sit "bolt upright" it's fine. Sort of a natural sitting up is no problem from the ground level. Sitting on the BA Insulated Air Core will make it a bit tight.

John Baird

@jbaird

ya know John that your justifying because you like the tent. It's too darn short for the normal human being. That having been said, it's a great tent. For me, it's 3/07/07, and last weekend it had to be -10 on the A_T.but I don't really know. 50 – 70 mph winds had no effect, buffered by the trees of coarse. If 'the tent makers 'are listening, they would learn and act by our comments on this great but not perfect tent.
    As an engineer for the past 35 years as well as an Emt (and I've read your posted biopsy) you come with great credentials. We most probably could help them improve what they have. If they are looking, maybe they will ask.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

John Baird

@jbaird

There I go, making assumptions again.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hey! David, I never said that you needed therapy! That would be so rude — I would never say anything like that — not out loud anyway… :)

John Baird

@jbaird

hit enter by mistake

DONALD DYRLAND

@bowsinger

All my winter backpacking is going to be below tree line and it will be (by next season) either a 3-pound titanium Goat or a 5-pound Kifaru tipi/wood stove system. I will have external heat-period. I have much more on this on my 40 BELOW thread on the winter hiking forum.

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

My name is Don and I am a gear-aholic. I currently have the BD Firstlight with vestible, and have spent several night in it in my native Georgia mountains. Here is me in about 40 degrees and fog in the tent, notice the condensation, and I'm six feet tall and touching when extendedBD

I also have an EV-2, and have had it in similar situations with much less condensation, but it's lack of a floorless vestible has cause some theoretical concerns. I think a tarp our front would let you get off some wet gear before retiring. It is very long inside, plenty of roomev2

I have had and sold my Akto. I took it on a trip last year about this time and Georgia got some decent snowfall during the night, and dang near pushed the Akto down on my face. I was up all night pushing snow off the tent. I was freezing my kester off, and driving in all the pegs and then removing them with numb fingers was hard. I see the merits of this tent, but decided to pass.

I have other tents that I haven't fully tried out (ID MK3), as well as an ID eVent bivy. The eVent bivy I slept in this past Saturday on the North Georgia/N. Carolina border on a Mount called "Dick's Knob" (4600ft) trying to see the lunar eclipse. It got colder than I expected and I had a couple of cold spots on my 20 degree bag, and I found out why when I awoke to light sleet accumulation on my eVent Unishelter. I had frozen condensation around my mouth area when I awokeUnishelter

In conclusion, the winter tent I've been most happy with has been the EV-2, but I've read some negative reports of condensation on the web, but I've not experienced them.

Don

joseph daluz

@jfdiberian

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

I own the BD first light and really like it, albiet small, it is comfortable sleeping diagonally, and with my rain jacket pulled up over my feet, there's no condensation on the foot of my bag anymore, when condensation does occur.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools