Topic

Fence/Escalante/25 mile wash loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Fence/Escalante/25 mile wash loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

We had hoped to do a longer trip over Memorial Day weekend, but two days of apocalyptic wind and dust last Friday and Saturday was enough to delay our start. We left for Escalante early afternoon on Saturday and arrived with a couple hours of daylight at the Egypt trailhead to a crazy number of vehicles. Camp down at the river was surprisingly chilly.12

With the number of camps down at the river we weren't really expecting much solitude, but even with a relatively leisurely morning departure of 7:30 we put ourselves ahead of everyone else for the rest of the trip and didn't see another person until evening. Up Neon in the morning:

asfd

hg

and then Ringtail…lkjfg

Easy walkin' in the Escalante…97y

Arch near 25 Mile Washsdu

As the day went on I started to realize that this was a shorter loop than I had thought. This was kinda plan B so I hadn't done hardly any prep for the route (I even took a Trails Illustrated map…yikes) but even at a pretty leisurely pace with a couple long breaks it was looking like we might finish that evening. Ruin up 25 Mile Wash:k

big alcove:ljkjgf

The first and last part of 25 Mile Wash were pretty easy walking. The middle section had quite a few beaver dams and lots of willow whacking… kjhk

The last cross country section was a blast. We considered camping, but we had lots of daylight left and being able to see the the Egypt ridge with beer waiting at the top was too much to pass up. The late afternoon light was spectacular. asodjf

asldkjf

sdfssfd

sdlkfjsds

I felt like a little kid running down steep sandy hills…
    dlkfgjdflkg

…and up to the trailhead at sunset…sdfdsd

To top off a great evening, we even found a AM station out of San Antonio to pick up the fourth quarter game one of the SA/OKC series. Next morning after checking out a bit of Egypt 3 it was off to Kiva for breakfast and homeward…

Overall a great trip, although it could very comfortably be done as a dayhike.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools