Topic

Golite 1+ down vs synthetic. which one to keep?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite 1+ down vs synthetic. which one to keep?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

I acquired one Golite down quilt and one synthetic quilt, both rated at 40 degrees. My neighbour tried getting into backpacking but quit prematurely…

As both are similarly rated, which one would you keep? Most of my trips are in the NE US and mostly May-September.. or should I keep both, depending on conditions?

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

I was just looking to pick up 2 rs1 synthetic quilts from Golite during their sale – they said they are sold out of the entire rs1 line and will not be carrying synthetic bags anymore. I was looking for 2 small/light/cheap summer bags for my 2 boys – also for May – September in NE.

The down bag costs twice as much and is several ounces lighter. If you're only keeping one I guess I'd go with the down.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

That would be a tough call… maybe you could keep both and use one or the other as a loaner…?

Chris, I have a RS 1+ season quilt in a long that I do not need (I am currently waiting on 2 quilts form Tim Marshall!). If you are interested I would be willing to part with it. If interested, PM me for details.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Down. Lighter, stays warmer for longer (in terms of the life of the bag).

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

nm

Devon Cloud

@devoncloud

Locale: Southwest

given the invention of the plastic garbage bag that you can keep your gear safe from the elements when you are not in it and safe under a tarp, Down is the way to go if you ask me. Synthetic is too heavy and degrades quickly.

I am pretty anal about keeping my gear dry… Therefore I can't justify the extra weight of synthetics.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I agree with Devon. Down is also a bit more forgiving of temp ranges alowing you to cover against bugs even if it is warm at night.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools