Topic

Light but warm women’s down jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light but warm women’s down jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jen Churchward
    BPL Member

@mahgnillig

Hi all :)

I've decided that I want a down jacket since they are light, warm and packable… seems like the ideal mix for backpacking. There are so many out there though, and it's hard to tell where to make the compromise: weight or warmth. I'm naturally a pretty chilly person… I tend to get cold easily and stay that way, so the warmer the better. There seems to be a good selection of down jackets out there, some of them crazy light, but I don't think these would be warm enough for me. I would be wearing it around camp for backpacking in the Sierras, and possibly as an insulating layer for skiing in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would go to REI and try a bunch on, but when it's 85 degrees out, it's hard to tell what's going to work at 30.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I have the Montbell Alpine Light down jacket, and like it a lot. I also get cold very quickly when I reach camp, so I really need a down jacket to keep from freezing. I also have the UL down inner jacket, but it's not warm enough for me at night at high elevations (Colorado). If you are REALLY hard to keep warm, the Alpine Jacket/Parka is warmer still. They are all very light, pack small, and are fairly water-resistant.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jen,

For the criteria you specified, you need approximately 6 oz. of 800 fill. This will allow a typical women to be thermo neutral doing camp chores at 30F when sheltered from the wind. There is a slight benefit with higher rated down fill offset by a large amount of marketing smoke.

For non-expedition use, a jacket's fill ranges from about 2 oz. (40F male class) to about 16 oz. (-30F male class). Females typically require a jacket rated about 10F less than a male does for camp chores at the same temp.

The women's value leader in this category is the GoLite Women's Roan Plateau 800 Hooded Jacket. If your size and color preference matches what is typically on sale in the $100 – $150 range, it weighs 17.7 oz. in M. Another high-value option includes the Montbell Frost Line Parka (male cut only); it replaced their prior Alpine model with the same amount of body fill but, the addition of a hood.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Duplicate post

James Demetriades
    BPL Member

@jtdmventerprises-net

Locale: Los Angeles

So many choices exist for so many ranges of temperatures. My wife is happy with her western mountaineering flash jacket in summer with a shell if temperatures drop. We generally are at 8-12k altitude and summer camp. Weight is 9 oz or so, is not too puffy so you don't look like the Michelin man, and has a nice hood for those cold nights or mornings. Also used for skiing under a shell on clod days.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

My wife wanted a down that was lightweight, but not so thin-skinned as to be super-fragile. She also wanted something that will be a nicely warm layer when she's in camp, tired and has been chilled in the past. She went with the Marmot Venus, which is cut very well for the wimmin folk, packs down nice and small for use a a pillow and is stuffed full of 800 fill down from geese that were fed hot peppers to make the down self-heating.

Okay, I may not be sure about that one detail, but the Venus is the source of much happiness. There is a Venus review on this site, as I recall.

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

I second the Montbell Alpine Light jacket. You can get it with a hood too (that one is called the parka).

You can find the Alpine Light on sale for about $150. I recently bought the men's parka for $146 from backcountrygear.com (25% off).

In fact, right now, on Montbell's website, under web specials, you can get clearance Alpine Light women's jackets for $90-122.

This jacket has about 4 ounces of down. It is a great jacket when you consider the cost and weight. There was better, but not at that price, IMO. It also received a Backpacker's Magazine award last year

edit: the women's version has about 3 ounces of down.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Just got a FF Daybreak recently. Quite nice. 8.35oz for mens medium. They make a womens version. Something to consider.

Steve

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

post cancelled

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Eddie Bauer Down SweaterSorry,

Here's a photo of my Eddie Bauer Down sweater. If you are unfamaliar with the brand the First Ascent line was made to very high quality and design standards for mountaineering and backpacking. Every First Ascent item I've seen firsthand is good stuff.

This time of year you can likely find a women's Down Sweater on sale.

BTW, Will Reitveld gave it a favorable review in his extensive articles on light down jackets.

Jen Churchward
    BPL Member

@mahgnillig

Thanks for the input everyone! Would you say that a hood is necessary for a down jacket worn as an insulating layer? I usually only go for hoods on shells due to the bulk of having two hoods, but maybe I am missing out on a really great thing. Weight wise, I'm guessing there's probably not much difference between a hooded jacket and a regular jacket + beanie.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I would certainly think the parka is warmer, but I went with the jackets. I have a capilene hoody I wear to sleep (keeps the down sleeping bag hood clean) and I wear it in camp under my down jacket if it is unusually cold–or I am unusually chilly.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Jen,

I've opted for a medium weight fleece "Peruvian" style hat for sleeping and day use. It has a very breathable Polartech membrane laminated in it for wind resistance.

You may want to add a fleece pull-over neck gaiter if you expect horrific weather but your jacket's stand-up collar and the parka's neck protection should be fine.

If it's really cold you can use your WPB parka hood over the hat and down jacket and be very warm. I think this setup is more versatile and less restricting than a hooded down jacket.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

I have a three down jackets that I use for backpacking, so can compare and contrast a bit. All three have a similar lightweight shell, but the amount of down varies considerably. The warmth of the jacket is all about the amount of down.

My warmest jacket is a Mountain Hardwear Phantom. I bring it in the winter or cold shoulder season. Yes, I look like the Michelin Man in this jacket, but who cares, wearing this jacket I am NEVER cold. Weighs 14 ounces.

My middling warm jacket is a Outdoor Research Women's Aria jacket. It is similar to my friends Marmot Venus jacket and weighs 11 ounces. This is not nearly as warm as the Phantom but generally is quite sufficient for the Sierras in the summer.

I also have the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Men's jacket in the same nice blue color as Eric. The weight it's the same as the Outdoor Research or the Marmot Venus.
    The advantage of a man's jacket is that it has a lot longer back length so better coverage, more warmth. Not as flattering obviously.

Finally my friend brought along her brand new Patagonia Ultralight Down Jacket on our last trip. This weighs an amazing 7 ounces and felt almost weightless. However she felt cold very soon after the sun went down and had to crawl into her sleeping bag even though it was quite a pleasant May evening.

Three takeaways:
    If you really want a very warm jacket, get something puffy that weighs close to a pound.
    For three season use you'll be fine with something in the 10-12 ounce range.
    The lightest jackets are amazing, but really don't add much warmth.

Eric Nelson

@ericknelsonn

You just go here, you will get lots of options for jacket

Tactical Jackets

Ashley Higgins
    BPL Member

@alh0711

Another good option is Goosefeet Gear. [www.goosefeetgear.com]
    They make custom down jackets, so it will be tailored to fit you perfectly!
    I have a down quilt from them, and pretty much take it everywhere. It's lightweight, warm, and compresses down to fit in a small space.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You might also look at the Rab Infinity with 7oz of down fill and a 17.5oz total weight. My fiancé has an older version which is 13oz and has ~5.3oz of down if I remember correctly. It looks really warm.

You might also look at the Golite Bitteroot with 5oz down and 12oz total weight.

If you can wear men's sizes the mount bell mirage is a class leading garment.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools