Topic

Backpack Squeeks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpack Squeeks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I have this problem where my backpack squeeks. It's this heavily annoying noise seemingly emanating from the shoulder straps of my SMD Swift. Has anyone else had and fixed a similar problem?

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I have had my ULA Circuit squeak on me when I don't fully load it – and the delron hoop seems to move next to the frame sheet and make noise near the shoulder straps….I pack it out full and the squeaking goes away.. Don't know how to fix it any other way..

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I have an old Gregory z35 pack that squeaks like crazy. No remedy that I know of. Talc powder?

Steve

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Usually it is the stay the rubs against its pocket that causes the squeek.
    I used CRC silicone spray on one that .
    From memory it reduced but not eliminated the problem.
    A mate that is using it now has not commented on that and I could not hear it on a walk we did together.
    Franco

Brian Phillips
    BPL Member

@fleab

Locale: The Flat Lands

I also have a ULA pack (1st generation Ohm) that also has a squeezing problem when under filled. Loosening the load lifter straps seems to help. I finally solved the problem by downsizing my three season pack to a GG Gorilla and designating the Ohm as my winter pack.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

My Golite Quest (new model) squeaked like crazy when I first got it. The fabric rubbing/pulling against the bottom curled section of the frame stays was the culprit. I saturated the fabric in that area with silicone spray which seems to have taken care of it.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My SMD Comet (model long since discontinued, but it was the "little brother" of their Starlite) started squeaking on one trip. I never could quite figure where the squeak was coming from. Interestingly, it was only that one trip–it never squeaked again!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Squeaks? Ha ha! I still use an (ultralight) Kelty external frame, the same one since the early 80's. In "the old days", everyone without one of those Peak 1 plastic-framed packs dealt with squeaks and creaks. I know squeaks! Candle wax on the metal-to-metal points is the simple fix. Come to think of it, I need to rub a little wax on mine again.

If you've got fabric squeaking like that, from a friction point, you can use wax or a nylon-safe lube…just pick something that won't dribble all over the place once it heats up, and use only a little. If it's a metal grommet at the core of the squeak, try polishing it with 600+ grit and then some metal polish, before rubbing it with an elegant dinner candle.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Erik right the old external frame pack squeaked, creaked and made all kinds of noises.

The only thing I can figure out with the SMD swift of yours is maybe it the pad in the internal pocket squeaking . I notice that when I owned one it was the folded "Z" rest pad panels rubbing against each other when I walked with a fully loaded pack.
    Terry

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Sorry I forgot to mention, I get it even when not using the aluminum stay (my usual way).

I have always used some folded zrest panels though, maybe that's it then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools