Topic

Antarctica book suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Antarctica book suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Sorry, I know this isn't really a gear question, I'm just not sure which subforum would be the most appropriate section for it…maybe "Winter Hiking".

I recently read a book titled, "Polar Dream", which chronicals Helen Thayer's solo ski expedition to the magnetic north pole. Now I'm in the mood to read some expeditions to Antarctica (to be honest, the south pole has always held a whole lot more intrigue and allure to me than the north pole).

If anyone has good suggestions I'd appreciate it. I plan on reading "The Endurance" as well. I know it's not exactly a modern polar expedition, but I've heard it's an outstanding story.

Apologies again. I realize that Antarctica expeditions are not exactly lightweight backpacking, but I'd immagine the same types of people (those who love exploring the outdoors), would be drawn towards both interests. Hence my reason for asking it here.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The Worst Journey in the World
    Shackleton's Forgotten Men
    Ranulph Fiennes' trip across the polar cap (I forget the name).

Funny – all of these were really disasters.

Cheers

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I second Roger's recommendations.

I also liked "Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica" by Sara Wheeler.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Thanks Roger and Miguel! I knew I could count on this group for recommendations. I'll check those out.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

There is a excellent part coffee table book from 1978 on Antarctica.

Antarctica by Elliot Porter, publisher Hutchison Publishing (NZ) ISBN 0 09 136350 0.

You may recognise the authors other works such as "In Wilderness is the preservation of the world" and "Forever wild: the Adirondacks" among others.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Not a book, internet only.Ray and Jenny Jardine(Mr. and Mrs lightweight) 750 miles in 57 days

http://www.rayjardine.com/adventures/2006-SouthPole/index.htm

Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

I'm currently reading "Endurance". Fantastically written book. Hard to put down. Great and interesting history mixed with excitement, suspense, and a bit of humor.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

The South Pole, by Captain Roald Amundsen
    Scott's Last Expedition, by Robert Falcon Scott
    South, by Sir Ernest Shackleton

They were the actual accounts written by those men. Their diaries, if you will.

I agree with Roger's suggestions. I think Apsley Cherry Garrard's The Worst Journey in the World is the best written book of them all. He documents the same adventure as Scott's Last Expedition. The chapter that describes the actual "worst journey in the world" is my favorite all time story of adventure/survival. He describes a several week trek by Garrard and two of his mates to collect emporer penguin eggs on Cape Royds in total winter darkness. An amazing story…

For another easy and quick read about Shackleton, I'd suggest Alfred Lansing's Endurance.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

If you like fiction, "Antarctic Navigation" by Elizabeth Arthur got me started on reading everything I could find on Antarctic exploration.

I 2nd all the books above. The Fiennes book "Race to the Pole: Tragedy, Heroism, and Scott's Antarctic Quest" is wonderful. But I think the one Roger mentions is "Mind over Matter" which is the story of his crossing of the Antarctic.

Also the journals of Robert Falcon Scott are quite interesting and touching.

At the other end of the earth, you might like "In the Land of White Death" by Valerian Albanov.

Last December I saw an amazing photo exhibit, "The Heart of the Great Alone," at the Queens's Gallery in London of photos taken on the Shackleton and Scott expeditions. Unbelievably beautiful large prints, and very moving – it included shots taken at the pole on a camera found in the tent with the bodies of Scott, Bowers, and Wilson. After having read all these books, I almost felt like I'd known these men, and to see the exhaustion and disappointment on their faces really hit me.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

My all time favorite book on arctic travel is, "This Cold Heaven" by Gretel Ehrlich. It's about living and traveling with the Inuit in Greenland. Made me want to give up everything and move to the north and live by hunting and traveling with a dog sled.

"Arctic Dreams" by Barry Lopez is another magic book.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Wow! Everything from coffee table books, to internet articles, to novels. I greatly appreciate it everyone. This will give me some great material to whet my appetite. :)

Thanks again!

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Mike Stroud's "Shadows on the Wasteland…"
    1993 foot crossing of Antarctica
    http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Wasteland-Crossing-Antarctica-Ranulph/dp/0879516364/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338404389&sr=1-1

Reinhold Messner's "Antartica, Both Heaven and Hell"

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

This is an excellent book, Mawson And The Ice Men Of The Heroic Age – Scott, Shackleton And Amundsen, Peter Fitzsimons.

For those of you who are interested in Antarctic history, this very interesting article came out in New Scientist, http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228440.900-scott-amundsen-and-nobu-shirase.html?page=1

Tony

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

On the Shackleton Trans-Antarctic expedition:

Endurance, by Alfred Lansing. Best synthesis of interviews of expedition members. Very good read.
    The Endurance, by Caroline Alexander. Superb at capturing the pre-WW1 age of expedition. Also marvelous use of expedition photos.
    South, by Sir Ernest Shackleton. His own account.
    Shackleton's Boat Journey, by Frank Worsley. Worsley was Shackleton's caption, and the man who guided the lifeboat from Elephant Island to South Georgia. Marvelous firsthand account by a terrific writer.

On the Scott Polar Expedition:

Cherry-Giraurd, The Worst Journey in the World. Title says it all. The expedition was a masterpiece of stiff-upper-lip incompetence.

Coffee table books:

Hurley, South with Shackleton. The expedition photographer, a master of self-aggrandizement.
    T. and C. Carr, Antarctic Oasis, Photographic essay of South Georgia Island

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Tony, that article is fascinating! Thank you for the link! I've read a number of these books but never heard of Shirase!

Is there anything good on Admiral Byrd's expeditions in the 1920's and 1940's?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Here's one I enjoyed many years ago:
    The crossing of Antarctica; the Commonwealth Transantarctic Expedition, 1955–1958 with Sir Vivian Fuchs (1958). Cassell ASIN B000HJGZ08

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Mary,

Yes it is a very interesting story.

Although this book which I am currently reading 'Farthest North' by Fridtjof Nansen is not about Antarctic, it is a fascinating story, his boat the Fram was used by Amundsen on his successful south pole expedition.

Tony

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

My favorites are Endurance and Worst Journey in the World (best title in the world).

There is a film "Endurance" that is mainly still photos and a few bits of motion by Shackleton's photographer; this is excellent, see it in a theater where the projectionist knows how to focus.
    Netflix has a number of Antarctic movies. One I liked was by Werner Herzog, "Encounters at the End of the World".

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

One of the highlights of my visit to Norway was visiting the Fram which is now a museum in Oslo. I spent more time there than I did at the Kon-Tiki museum!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools