Topic

DIY Bug Bivy coverage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Bug Bivy coverage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Tekiela

@t3knical5urg3

Locale: Northeast

I've been cutting my weight and finally decided to go to a tarp setup. I setup a tarp and hammock which works great, but I wanted a lighter weight and more versatile setup. Thus the creation of my bug bivy! It is my first attempt at a piece of gear and I'm pretty happy with it but I am worried about the coverage of the bivy under the tarp. The bivy is 7ft long, as I am a tall guy.

Shangri La Taro and Bivy

It is pitched high for how I would use it in a storm so you can see it so envisioning it pitched low, would this be enough coverage?

One more shot of the bivyDIY Bug Bivy

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Thats a good looking bivy. Especially for your first MYOG project. It looks like you would be protected in a storm, as long as the wind isn't blowing up under the tarp. I had a setup similar to that and I tried to keep it setup in a patch of trees to keep the wind from blowing so bad.

Daniel Tekiela

@t3knical5urg3

Thanks for the input. I made quite a few mistakes sewing the bivy but I chalk them up to learning experiences. I'm hoping to get a decent storm to test it out but there aren't any in the forecast.

I want to recommended to anybody to use a piece of shockcord to attach the bivy. I saw it on brain greens blog and really love how flexible it makes the bivy!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Dan — how was sewing the zipper to the no-see-um? Any tips?

Daniel Tekiela

@t3knical5urg3

It was surprisingly easy. I closed the zipper up and pinned both sides to the location on the noseeum. I then opened it up and cut the noseeum in between the opened zipper. I don't have any special feet for my sewing machine, just the "standard" one so the side of the foot was pressed up against the actual zipper and it was only about an 8th of an inch from the edge of the zipper material. It's a little close for my liking but is holding just fine. The rest is the same as any other material.

Hope that helps!

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

It looks like you did a fine job sewing it all together. I agree with your saying you chalked any mistakes up to experience. That's the way I learned to sew. I just keep a seam ripper handy and go at it.

Daniel Tekiela

@t3knical5urg3

So those of you who have more experience then I, is my MYOG bug bivy too long for the tarp?

Daniel Tekiela

@t3knical5urg3

Not to bump but "bump". I've got a yellowstone trip and Ide really like to bring this but im nervous about wind blown rain. I doubt I will be able to test it in tough conditions but if I don't take this then it'll be a much heavier seedhouse sl1.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Probably need 2 feet of overhang on both ends – so 11 foot tarp? 9 feet tarp would be difficult, although if you pitched in sheltered location it may be okay. If your sleeping bag didn't mind a little bit of rain then probably 9 feet would be okay.

Daniel Tekiela

@t3knical5urg3

Im right in between where I need to be based on your assessment. The tarps ridgeline is 11ft long, but it tapers as it reaches to the corners (maybe to 9ft?) I really think Im going to go for it. Anyone ever have to make a makeshift garbage bag rain block, or even a rain jacket if they get into a tricky situation?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I always carry a garbage bag. On every backpacking trip, and every day hike. Weighs less than 1oz, infinitely versatile. Take two and an extra few feet of cord, and you have some serious "splash" security. If you aren't familiar, the pinecone/rock-in-the-corner with a knot to secure works great for tie-outs, and just tuck the excess under the mat.

Daniel Tekiela

@t3knical5urg3

Ironically I got a decent rain and pitch the open face directly into the wind to see how it was. It wasen't too bad once I dropped the pitch low and wide. I think I will be a happy camper being more open on this backpacking trip. Thanks for the opinions!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools