Topic

Sawtooth Opportunities

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sawtooth Opportunities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greg Rydman

@ggryd

I'll be in ID this coming July and am looking for some information about the Sawtooth mtns. I've heard starting around Grandjean is good, for either 3-4 day loop or longer. Any. Ideas? Also, is there a post office or outfits that I can ship gear to in advance?

I'll have many questions as I develop this tip, hope this forum is lively.

Thanks,

Ggryd

Ronald Stoecklein

@rs7troutaol-com

Hey Greg–saw that there were no replies–thought I'd just throw in another option to Grandjean.

First I have not done much in the Sawtooths–last summer did a short trip into Imogene Lake.

Which brings me to the other option–and that is to go in from the East side of the Sawtooths.

4th of July road give you good access to the Sawtooths going in through 4th of July Creek trailhead.

Mind you–it's just another option–and from there you could plan a longer trip heading South.

I am thinking of also doing a longer trip this summer–not sure whether it will be in the Sawtooths or in the White Cloud Mountains on the other side of the valley.

Ron

Greg Rydman

@ggryd

Thanks, Ron. I will look into your suggestion, in fact it may be a good alternative.
    Since I am coming in from FL, my travel and logistical options are a bit limited, thus the need to ship gear to some location rather than as airline baggage. It worked well for me in Yosemite, so I thought Stanley might be appropriate for that.
    I'll rent a vehicle for transportation and changing opportunities on the fly, but I do want to optimize backpacking alternatives.
    Still looking for advice and local knowledge about serene, scenic, solitary trails and great places to camp, where ever they may be.

Thanks again. Hopefully, this will generate some more expert advice and suggestions.

Ronald Stoecklein

@rs7troutaol-com

Hey Greg-

I've been doing a little more research on the White Clouds–

I figured out with the help of some other sites a 28 mile loop that takes you into many lakes, good fishing and not so many people(according to what I've read)

I looked at it as a more relaxing trip being able to spend some time flyfishing at each camp and thus not doing big miles each day.

If you have interest–let me know–I'll post it.

Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools