Topic

MYOG 5×8 tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG 5×8 tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Just made this last night with some left over Silnylon, comes in at 7 oz on the dot.

Front view.

tarp

tarp

Side view.

tarp

tarp

Rear view.

tarp

Front view underneath tarp.

tarp

Details of stiching. I used Bias Tape on this tarp, and I like the clean finish it came out with, not to mention less sewing.

tarp

I've never used extra material for stress points on tieouts. I've never had a failure yet, and until I do I'll keep doing it like this.

tarp

tarp

Here's to another MYOG tarp.

Jack

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Very nice looking tarp you've got there Jack! Really like the bias tape, like you said, makes for a clean finish. Where did you find the tape at?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I got the bias tape at Joanns, in small packages. I'm trying to find a better source for bulk, and in a lighter materail. Thanks for the comments.

Jack

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Jack
    Thanks for posting I like seeing all the variations. Excellent photos too.

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

Nice finish work with the tape. Like you, I never add reinforcements to the tie-out points. Question – do you use a bivy with this tarp? If so, how much does it weigh?

I decided to pull my newest (tapered) tarp out to a 8'6" x 7'6" [front] x 5' [rear] with a 1'6" beak and 12" guys on one side. That is, the other (weather) side is anchored flush to the ground. Basically, it's an enlarged solo tarptent based on Henry's original design.

I figure the additional weight gain in tarp material is about equal to the weight savings from not taking a bivy. In fact, the weight savings may be greater since I use (semi-disposable) window shrink wrap instead of silynylon (ie bivy floor) for my groundcover.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

@ Hobbes.
    I have a John West bivy. I haven't weighed it yet, but it should be around 6 oz. That would make the total set up 13oz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools