Topic

Lightweight rain gear recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight rain gear recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

Stephen – I have the Zpacks Cuben Fiber Jacket,
    they are fab – Hey it's not a fashion parade out there!

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

I use the Zpacks Rain Jacket. I like it so much I just ordered the Zpacks Rain Pants. The first time I used a Dry Ducks jacket the zipper failed when I put it on and zipped it up. I also had the seam split on a pair of Dry Ducks pants when I was putting them on. I was glad the failures occured at home and not on the trail. Zpacks also makes a poncho that I use for rain gear when it is warm. This poncho is NOT a shelter..it is designed to work as a ground cloth inside a hexamid tent. This poncho is great in windy conditions because you can zip up the sides but still have the great venilation under the open arms. This is all I really need in the summer and it weighs only 3.9 oz.

Stephen.. Joe at Zpacks might be able to make you Rain Jacket in a different color. Send him an email, I promise you will get a fast response. Joe will work with you on anything he makes..many people on this site have bought customized gear from him.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Thanks Leslie,

I have seen the Zpacks Wpb rain gear mentioned on here and the weights do like nice.

Cheers,

Stephen

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

the cheap/easy solution would be to just ditch the rain paints. 11 oz is not bad for an event shell.

Another option would be to buy an OR Helium II & those 4oz montbell rain paints. I dont bother with rainpaints here in the CO rockies. I either wear quick drying softshells or running shorts w/windpants for backup.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Stephen.. Joe at Zpacks might be able to make you Rain Jacket in a different color. Send him an email, I promise you will get a fast response. Joe will work with you on anything he makes..many people on this site have bought customized gear from him.

Two quick notes…

First, Joe is not in the USA right now, he and his wife are in NZ hiking the Te Araroa Trail. They have had people working in the ZPacks offices and workshop for a rather long time and they are taking care of things while the Valesko's are out of country.

Second, to the best of my knowledge the WBPCF is only available at this time in white. I have not heard any word that Cuben Tech is making this specific material in any other colors. They might, but I have not heard any mention of it.

Abela

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Based on my research I just bought a Rab Pulse, 7.5 oz. size large, to replace my worn out Marmot Essence. I will pick up a pair of Montbell Versalite pants when they come back on the market in spring aprox 4.5oz to replace my old GoLite Reed pants.

I wear my rain jacket quite often when it is not raining, it makes a nice layer over my hiking shirt when it is cooler.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

I am going time hold out to see what offerings come out in Event Dvl.

Cheers,

Stephen

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools