Topic

Sterno Cans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sterno Cans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Baxter
    Spectator

@adb0406-2

Hey, I have to get on planes for major trips out west. I can't pack alcohol fuel or canisters, So my buddy offered an idea of Sterno Cans. Has anybody used Sterno Cans for a heat source? I am told that the temp is lower than alcohol stoves and it takes longer to boil water, but I am not in a hurry. Plus you can buy them at any grocery store.

Take care!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Sterno is not terribly hot. It is good for keeping something warm, but not very good for boiling water. Plus lots of grocery stores do not have them.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Bob's correct.

I have boiled water with it, but it's slow. Don't think I'd want to trust it in cold temps.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Sterno cans just sucks for cooking back in the 1970's in boy scouts we used sterno cans on one backpacking trip. We ate warm food and cold hot chocolate and could not boil water for the dehydrated food.
    So we did a quick fund raiser and bought six Svea 123 stoves we shared to cook food and boil water on trips. The Svea 123 were temperamental but they did get the job done. I finally bought my own for my personal backpacking trips and our troop was getting larger also I was able to be the first one to cook.
    Terry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools