Topic

Keychain LED light headlight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Keychain LED light headlight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Made 2g headstrap to hold a keychain LED light.

Materials:
    3/4" wide 0.34oz cuben, about 23" long
    1/16" shock cord
    Tiny cord lock
    Ultra-mate Velcro, adhesive backed
    1/4" wide double sided tape

Apply the tape to one edge of the cuben, fold over. Apply another length of tape to the cuben, fold over again. End result is three layes of cuben all taped together, about 23" long, 1/4" wide. [if 1/4" wide tape isn't available, use 1/2" and start with 1.5" wide cuben strip. End result will be 1/2" wide]

Apply 1" long of tape to the end, and fold over 2" of the end to form a loop at the end of the strip of cuben 1" long. Fix tape down.

Cut and tie the shock cord, attach cord lock.

Test fit on head. Locate where you would want the light to be on the side of your head (this can be adjusted by rotating on your head)

Cut small piece of hook side velcro, affix to strap. Loop side goes on your keychain light.

Place strap on head, stick light on in desired direction.Headstrap showing the velcro on sideHeadstrap with light affixed

Steve

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Very cool, but how do you get it to point straight forward? It looks like it would point every direction except straight out in front of you. That's got to be the lightest headlamp ever though. I like it!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

The light goes on the side of your head, pointing forward. Actually, the strap can be rotated around so the light is pointing wherever you want it to. The angle down can be adjusted with the velcro.

Similar to http://www.niteize.com/products/headband, but the angle down can be adjusted.

Just tried it with my Fenix LD01; too heavy of a light for it. The cuben would have to be 1/2" wide to get a large enough piece of velcro for the LD01 to stick.

Steve

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Ahhhhhh…now it makes sense to me haha. It's past my bed time if you can't tell.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Just made another one with a final width of 1/2". Much easier to put on, less likely to get a twist in the cuben strip.

Steve

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools