Topic

Emigrant Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Emigrant Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Hi everyone,

Thanks to a three day weekend I decided to explore the Emigrant Wilderness some. I read online that a bear canister is not required for this area and saw several trip reports where the hikers were using an ursack. I've been using an opsak lately in the sespe wilderness and kinda love not having to carry a bear canister. What do you do and why?

Thanks!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

A bear can is not required for Emigrant, however "proper food storage" is required. So either an Ursack or hanging your food. The pine trees up there are almost universally terrible for bear bagging (long skinny pine trees with short, closely spaced branches) Since I don't own an Ursack and hanging is difficult, I generally just bring the canister.

If you do bear bag, your only option may be the double hang between two trees as detailed in this BPL article: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/turbo_bear_bag_hanging.html If you do decide to bear bag, please make sure you do a good enough job to protect your food and the bears.

Andrew

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I take my canister because I am done with hanging food. But the bears in the Emigrant do not seem to be problem bears, so a good hang should work just fine, particularly if you camp away from the usual well-used sites. I have camped there many times in the past with no precautions whatsoever and had no issues, but I don't do that anymore.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

I'm am actually heading to Emigrant this weekend also. I have never used a bear can but just purchased one and am going to use it for the first time. The can does seem really big and heavy but putting up a good hang can also be a pain.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Since Emigrant is right next to Yosemite, and the cans are required in Yosemite, we've just got into the habit of using them, even when they are not required. To be sure, it's easier than finding a tree every night…and then remembering that your toothpaste is in the bear bag. And then remembering that your sunscreen is in your pocket, and needs to go in your bear bag…ad infinitum

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

While carrying a bear canister isn't my favorite thing, it's a bit easier then bear bagging all the food and toiletries etc. Easier for me at least, since I have limited experience doing it. Just manning up and taking my bearvault solo.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools