Topic

Travel pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Travel pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Not exactly backpacking gear but…

Can someone suggest good, preferably Supplex, pants for int'l travel? Slim fitting, no cargo pockets, look more like normal pants than typical backpacker pants.

For various reasons prefer Patagonia, Rail Riders, Ex-Officio or Mountain Hardwear.

Any suggestions please?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

M L,

I hike in the Arc'Teryx Rampart pants, very light and dry fast. They do have pockets on the legs but they are flat and hardly noticeable. Would be a quick place to stash a document that you needed quick access to.

http://www.rei.com/product/764022/arcteryx-rampart-pants-mens-32-inseam

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Royal Robbins Global Trekker Pants are my current favorite. A few other ideas on my recommended pants… scroll down a bit to "adventure travel".

–Mark

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

I'd recommend the golite siskiyou pants if they ever come back in stock in more sizes. Only large/XL in stock right now…

Edit: the golite's appear to have one cargo style pocket, so maybe not what you're looking for. Also, the Arc'teryx Rampart pants are awesome hiking pants, but again, they've got cargos (although quite streamlined).

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Look at The North Face Burke ripstop pants (nylon).

Normally $79.99 now $49.99 plus S&H.

Same garantee as REI. Don't like 'em? Return for a full refund.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I have the Palisade shorts, but I am considering also picking up the pant version for the same reason (travel):

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts/Palisade-Pant#

They are slimmer fitting than the Rampart pant

What sort of climate will you be traveling in? Warm and humid? Cool and dry?

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Thanks all for suggestions!

Does anyone have any experience with either MH Setter or MH Loafer pants?

Rob Reynolds
    BPL Member

@rfreynol

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Locale: West

Best Ever….Kuhl Jeans. Cotton/Nylon blend with articulated knees. Amazing pants! Kuhl has a variety of types sold everywhere.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I have to agree about the Kuhl jeans. They dry fast because of the cotton/poly blend and the thin material. They are very comfortable and I really like mine.

Unfortunately, I would never buy another pair after the self-righteous anti-American nonsense "message" that they supply with their pants.

On another note, the OP didn't mention where the pants would be used, but I highly recommend just regular jeans for travel vs supplex hikers.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

My personal choice is the Exofficio Nomad pants they look like normal Khaki pants. But they have a hidden zippered side pocket on the right thigh I keep my wallet in and also treated with teflon for water and stain resistance. Also the fabric is tough as nails for bush whacking I have owned mine for 4 years now not a single rip tear or stain and they also repels light rain. I was able to get my 4 pairs of pants at 40% off in store sale.
    http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-nomad-pant-short-length
    Terry

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The Mountain Hardwear Mesa pants are close- light, Supplex-like material, no cargo pockets. My only beef with them is the pockets- I much prefer the front pockets of the less streetwear-looking MH Canyon pants.

A heavier pant that I really dig is the Mountain Hardwear Piero pant. Material is a light, unlined stretch-woven softshell rather than straight Supplex. A bit of stretch. They look more or less like a pair of khaki work pants- I wear them to work and for hiking. I've been wearing them in all seasons. They dry quickly as well- not as quickly as my MH Canyon pants, but fast enough for me. They deal with mud and dirt exceptionally well. Most days I do a 2-4 mile hike on the Superior Hiking Trail over my lunch break, and often enough I get some dirt or mud around my cuffs or on the calves of the pant. Not sure if it's the DWR, the weave, or some other property of the material but dirt seems to fall off once they dry. Sticks a lot less than it would to the cotton khaki-esque work pants I otherwise wear to work. I highly recommend them!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools