Topic

Israel: Negev Desert

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Israel: Negev Desert

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Greetings my fellow backpackers!

I'm relatively new to this great online community. Here are some photos from Negev Desert on south of Israel. In summer it's really hot there so you MUST carry a lot of water with you. That's why ultralight backpacking is so important in deserts. You have to cut weight in all other things except water. BPL website provides great tips for reaching that necessary level of base weight.

In this topic I wanted to show you places where I hike. Hope it will be interesting for you.

These are my kids climbed one of hills.

Sometimes such canyons are the only place where you can cool down a little.

Ardon Mount

David waterfall at Ein Gedi (near Dead Sea). There is water even in summer

Family hike

Nekarot

Climbing hills in desert and under sunlight is very difficult especially for children.

Done part so far…

Saharonim Mount

Forest :)

Ein Avdat

Such places are the only water source. They also provide food for animals, so you can find them here sometimes

Sunrise as seen from Massada near Dead Sea

Bugs of desert (Adesmia abbreviata)

This lizard has each finger doubled for better grip on surfaces. It actually can run on cave ceilings. Ptyodactylus hasselquistii

Eilat Mountains

"Yin Yang"

Eilat Mountains

It's me with my poor tired daughter

Red sea on left. Near Israel-Egypt border

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice, thanks

That looks a lot like Southwest U.S.

Interesting how much alike the rest of the world is

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Wow. Amazing places, Gregory.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Gregory, these photographs are stunning. Absolutely beautiful there. Deserts may not be green and cool, but given enough time, they can be the perfect stage for true transformation, for one who is open to it. Thank you for posting.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Thank you all for kind comments.

It's really interesting we have similar nature. Yes, some say that there is nothing to see/love/impress from in desert. I absolutely love desert. First, desert is not crowded. Second I love desert landscapes, it's nature, animals. It's something unique and is really wild. Third, desert is relatively close to where I live. I would love to hike through Rockies or whatever really mount landscape, but we haven't it. So I explore our desert which is big enough for several years of constant hiking.

Roger Dodger:
    >> For these places, do you need a gov wilderness permit or just drive and go ?

Well, most of Negev desert is closed military zone. That said, on weekends (Fri-Sat) you can go there without any permission, but in all other weekdays (Sunday thru Thursday) you MUST arrange your route with IDF if you don't want to be a moving target for our tanks :D
    In addition it is prohibited to move there except along marked routes. Unfortunately there are lots of travellers who harm desert nature, leaving trash, drawing on rocks, making fires … I truly hate these people. Carried out from routes several bags of others waste. I teach my kids to do so as well.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Wow! Incredible photos! I also like the desert a lot. Many people think driving through Nevada on Interstate 50 or 80 is boring and ugly (my brother calls it "the absence of scenery"), haha, but I love it.

All your photos are great, but the picture just below the Massada sunrise is outstanding! The soft color on the hillsides is beautiful.

Alan henson

@355spider

Locale: DFW

Cool pics. Thanks.

Mike Van
    BPL Member

@mike777

Inspires me to go there one day, I still remember the silence near the Dead Sea, amazing experience. Thanks for the pics!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Thank you for sharing that! A wonderful group of photos on a part of the world I'd love to see someday. Thanks again!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Wow. Fantastic photos!

I got a kick out of the "forest" photo!

Thanks for sharing.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What an amazing, magical place. And your photos do it great justice. Thanks so much for sharing them!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools