Topic

Sub-2 lb pack for a big guy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sub-2 lb pack for a big guy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I'm looking for a 45-55 L pack at or below 2 lb.

Right now, I'm using a ULA Circuit (L torso, XL hipbelt). I've very few complaints about this pack other than weight. My ULA Circuit accounts for nearly a quarter of my base weight- 43 oz out of 12.2 lb.

I've been passively looking for something a bit lighter for a while, but haven't had much luck thus far. A sticking point for me has been hipbelts- I'm a big guy, and many of the lighter packs I've tried don't transfer weight to my hips effectively. The hip belt on the ULA Circuit is exceptional in this regard. Other hipbelts that have worked well for me are Granite Gear's UL Hipbelt (L and XL) and the hipbelt on the Osprey Aether (L and XL).

More recently I've tried the GoLite Jam (2011), which didn't work well.

my gear list – http://goo.gl/Q4PGu.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aaron, it sounds as if you put a premium on comfort. I was also trying to go w/a sub 2 pound pack to replace my trustworthy ULA Circuit in my case for a Sept. JMT hike. I am 6 foot and 190-195 pounds. I recently purchased the 2012 version of the Osprey Hornet 46, in large. After loading the Osprey Hornet 46 w/20 pounds of gear and hiking an hour decided to stick w/the Circuit, not near the comfort. I got a good fit w/the Hornet but still nowhere the comfort. The shoulder straps are fairly thin on the Hornet. Taking the Hornet back to REI tomorrow( exchange). You can probably easily cut 6-8 ounces easily from your listed items carried. You might like the GG Gorilla, bout 45 or so liters. I had the first version kind of regret selling it.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

You could try the ULA Ohm 2.0, as it uses the same hip belt IIRC.

I had an original Ohm, and liked it except for the hip belt, so I got a custom Circuit instead.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

I like comfort fine, but I'd be happy to reduce the comfort level when it comes to my pack. No sense having a hipbelt if it doesn't do something, you know?

The Hornet looks nice on paper, but I've not tried it for that reason. Osprey packs change sizes on hipbelts the lighter they get- the Hornet 32 I looked at had a much less effective range of hipbelt cover in size Large than its other packs.

The Gorilla does look pretty good- I like look of the back panel. The comfort feature I would like to keep is a back panel that isn't a straight up coated fabric- the mesh back panels of the ULA Circuit and GoLite Jam makes a significant difference in sweat accumulation for me. I think I could live without it, but it'd be nice to have.

For some reason, I hadn't heard of the Ohm 2.0. Sounds brilliant- I'd gladly pay the 5 oz penalty over the standard Ohm. Going with the Ohm 2.0 at 30 oz vs my ULA Circuit at 43 oz would save almost an entire pound.

I was also pondering the GG Crown VC. A little heavier, but as I live in their backyard I might give it a try. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You might want to consider if lightening your pack by less than a pound is really worth the price of a new pack. Only you can decide, but this is an analysis I always do before investing, in an attempt (sometimes vain) to overcome that lust for new and lighter gear! Consider that you probably won't even notice the weight difference, especially after the first day when you'll eat the equivalent weight in food. Are there some features on your Circuit that you could remove to lighten it up a bit?

Also consider that should you decide to take a trip to an area where bear canisters are required, you will need a pack that will contain the canister, which the Circuit does.

David Ure

@familyguy

I agree with Mary. A 10oz drop in weight when your pack weight is already 12lbs is so nominal you won't feel it. So to drop 10oz for a drop in comfort seems unnecessary.

Now if you just want another pack…well…that is a different story.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Oh, bother. You two are no fun. Which is to say, you're probably right. :)

Don't anticipate needing a bear can anytime soon. Don't get the chance to leave Minnesota very often and rather doubt we'll be going anywhere outside the upper Midwest until the kids are a bit older.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I have a Circuit and a Catalyst from ULA and a 2011 Gorilla Ohm 2.0 is on my list. The hip belt on the Circuit is the best. I also have a Kelty and an Osprey Aether. I was considering making a "seatbelt extender" but chose lighten up not just in my gear but also my rear. Now I can cary most packs I still can't find a Western Mountaineering bag I can sleep in. I have also had just about every singe man commercial tent. I still like more room even though I don't need it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Hmm, I'm curious about the 43 ounce weight for your Circuit.

My large Circuit has all the removable items stripped off, and I am using an ancient ULA hip belt which is smaller than the current version, and it weighs 34.75 ounces. The newer hip belt can't be that much heavier, can it?

(Edit: it's got some custom features that may cut the weight, too, like the drawstring top and the Ohm stretch mesh pocket. Huh, didn't think about that when I ordered it.)

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

For larger volumes the SMD Starlite is my favorite.

There's one for sale for a song on hammockforums.net (no affiliation).

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

My Circuit isn't the most current- got it used on the Gear Swap 9/2010, seller said it was from 2/2010.

Weights from my Circuit, with and without various options:

Pack (w/ hipbelt, stay, zipper pocket, hand loops): 43.8 oz
    Pack (w/ hipbelt, stay): 42 oz
    Pack (w/ hipbelt): 39.6 oz
    Pack (alone): 29.0 oz
    Hipbelt (XL): 10.6 oz

For comparison:
    Granite Gear Nimbus UL Belt (M): 8.0 oz
    Granite Gear Vapor UL Belt (L): 8.0 oz

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools