Topic

Into the sierras already, or too early?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Into the sierras already, or too early?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

hey all
    So for some RANDOM reason I have next week off work, and figured what better way to spend it, than to g backpacking for 5 or 6 days. I was thinking of getting up into the high country if I can. I know it was a SUPER low snow season, and wondering if you think any places may already be accessible? Has anyone been out yet? Locations? Snow reports?

THANKS!!
    Dan

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Altitude, location???? Skill set if you encounter snow?

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Here is a recent report for the Donohue Pass area.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/message/22870

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Ken
    I am flexible….would like to get up to at least 7,000ft. I would consider myself a very skilled three season backpacker, and can handle snow; however I seem to have misplaced my crampons and ice axe….so minimal snow would be better.

Location is flexible too…anywhere from Yosemite down towards Kings Canyon.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

FWIW, here is the view on 5/20 from Taft point, across Yosemite Valley, at Yosemite Falls and the land behind:Yosemite from Taft Point on 5.20.2012

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I was at Merced lake–7200 feet–a month ago. No snow going in. Then I hiked on a south facing set of switchbacks to 9000 feet–not much snow. fwiw.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Thanks for the all the replies…it looks like most of the high country is open and accessible!

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Anyone have any trip suggestions for the Emigrant Wilderness. Looking around the Pine Valley Trail Head area, or maybe out of the Cherry Lake area, OR…any other spots around there you recommend?

looking for a 2,3 or 4 night trip doing about 7-10 miles/day and hopefully staying at lakes for some fishing.

Any ideas?

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Hey Dan

I'm heading up to Emigrant this weekend. I just got of the phone with a ranger at Summit Ranger Station and they just opened the road to Crabtree trail head. He said snow is very light. Maybe some at higher elevations but they get most of their info from backpackers hiking out. Sense they just opened the road nobody has been too deep.

Check our this thread for some other reports

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63248&skip_to_post=548934#548934

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I was up to Spanish Peak in the Buck's Lake Wilderness last weekend, cowboy camped on the concrete slab that was part of the fire lookout. The last 40% of the trail in from Bucks Summit had 1' – 2' or so of snow still, more the last bit up on the old road to the peak. It'll be a few more weeks before that melts off. No trees across the trail. Only about 5 miles or so from home in MV.
    Duane

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Duane, thats just what I was looking for! I think I am gonna head up into the Buck Lakes area. Have you ever been to Rosasco Lake? It doesnt look like there is a trail to it, but looks easy enough to get to. Any other spots in that general area you recommend?

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Chris, I'm heading up this weekend as well. Which trail head are you leaving from?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I've been into Emigrant Wilderness a few times, and I've been to many of the lakes. You may also have me confused with the post on the Emigrant Wilderness.
    Duane

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I was just there last weekend, up on Kibbie Ridge. There was no snow anywhere, except for a very small patch on the north facing side of Mercur Peak at 8100'. There were some giant swarms of mosquitos at Many Island Lake, though they were not biting yet. I expect they will be pretty bad either this weekend or in the next few weeks. Bring yer deet!

Andrew

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I was just there last weekend, up on Kibbie Ridge."

Apparently some guy was camped at Kibbie Lake sometime around May 19 and got lost. SAR teams from several counties were sent to Hetch Hetchy by land, and then helicoptered in to a strike camp near Kibbie Lake. By May 21, they had rescued him five miles away from Kibbie Lake, so the helicopter was ferrying all of the teams and equipment back out to the dam. I was in the Hetch Hetchy Valley until May 24, and there were zero bugs. Very mild weather. No venomous snakes seen. Only gopher snakes on the trails.

–B.G.–

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

A little fresh snow in the mountains, viewed just a few miles away from work.
    Duane

Brian Raap

@braap

Locale: Bay Area

Bob, must have just missed you! My dad and I did the Rancheria Falls-Lake Vernon loop out of Hetch Hetchy starting 5/21. We saw two rattlers. One about 25 yards after the tunnel and another near Tlltill Valley. There was only small patches of snow above 7500', and only on the north-facing wooded slopes.

We also day-hiked the PCT from Tuolumne Meadows down to Glen Aulin camp yesterday. Again, only a few patches of snow here and there in the shade.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bob, yep, I heard the chopper on my way out on Sunday. I actually saw the guy at Kibbie Lake shortly after he went missing. I gave all the relevant info to the ranger who was stationed at the trailhead. I am glad that they found him.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I heard the chopper on my way out on Sunday."

Some of us were in the Hetch Hetchy campground on Monday afternoon, and the helipad was almost within rock-throwing range of us, so we saw lots of activity. It reminded me of the beach scene from Apocalypse Now. I kept expecting Robert Duvall to pop up and say, "Oh, how I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

You know, if a guy gets lost overnight, it is kind of a risky thing if the nights are cold. But if he got lost for just a few hours, it is more of a good thing.

–B.G.–

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Erik

We are leaving from Crabtree heading toward Emigrant Lake making a loop.
    What about you?

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I'm leaving out of Crabtree as well, probably starting late morning/early afternoon tomorrow. Thinking about going up to Bear Lake Saturday night and then Deer Lake Sunday, then back out to my car on Monday. Not trying to put in a lot of miles, just check out the area and relax some.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools