Topic

Lightweight rope

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Lightweight rope

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ray Bailly

@tempestv

When we go hiking, we tend to find a whole lot of areas where the hiking starts to look more like climbing- 45 degree slopes, small ledges, ect. I can scramble up pretty well, but some of my hiking partners could do with some help. We were thinking that if I carried 50-100 feet of rope, I could hike up and tie onto a tree or other anchor and they would have something to use as a handhold. Strength isn't really critical since it won't really be supporting much weight. However, it does need to be big enough to get a good hold on. 7-8mm would probably be about minimum, or some sort of webbing. Any recommendations on something that would allow someone to get a decent amount of grip, but not weigh to much?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

You might look at water rescue rope, like they put in throw bags for kayakers. Comes in 5/16 " and larger diameters, is made of polypro so is lighter than nylon. Has a special
    soft weave for good grip and less kinks.

Can't use if for rock climbing as it is not dynamic rope. You will need to make sure your
    use is suitable.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

not cheap, but it will do what you want with some margin of safety.

Andrew Zajac

@azajac

Locale: South West

You could just carry some cord to create prussiks or other ascending knots. You could just make sure the cords are long enough to leave a loop that you could hold on to.

Khader Ahmad

@337guanacos

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda

I use this:

http://bealplanet.com/sport/anglais/corde-rando.php

More options are 7mm cord or 5.5mm dynema core cord (can be use as an standard fixed rope).

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

Locale: Minneapolis-St. Paul

I second the previous post recommendation. I take a 8.2 mm 30 meter glacier rope and weighs about 3 lbs.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Here is an example of the water rescue line.
    30 meters of 8mm
    weight 2.1 lbs.
    1600 lb breaking strength
    7.8% elongation at 300 lbs
    $37

http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/Sterling—5-16-Waterline.html

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I know this is sacrilege, but =)) VERY cheep polypro line. Lightest thing you can get for its diameter. Lots cheaper than buying a climbing rope.

I carry 6mm chord that I can turn into prussics at a drop of a hat. Had no problems with folks getting a grip on it. If its such a problem whack off an end and make a prussic hand hold loop they move along the line.

6mm dynamic has breaking strength of 1000lbs.

If you want super light go with 5mm static line and once again make a prussic grab chord for those who have a weak hand grip.

Far lighter than those proscribing 8mm or larger line.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For one trip this summer, I didn't need any real rope. All I needed was a strong enough cord for support that I could do a horizontal pendulum to cross one stream. The maximum length that I needed was 100 feet. I got some orange Dyneema cord that weighed only 2.6 ounces. That works.

–B.G.–

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

For penduluming across a river, where you are always "at the end of your rope", you could go with very small diameter and tie it around a branch for something to grip onto. 100 feet of 100-pound-test spectra would be way, way under an ounce.

Or here's 150 feet of 150-pound downrigger wire for $11. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMI-downrigger-cable-150-foot-150-pound-test-/170896917471?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ca4003df

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

David, I was not going to tie the rope/cord onto anything.

The plan was to simply loop the cord around a tree on the first bank, then walk across the stream with the cord taut to keep me upright. Upon reaching the second bank, I could let go of one end of the cord and retrieve it all.

–B.G.–

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A friend carries/uses 2mm dyneema to repel on… Its a very suspect way to do it with a miniscule safety factor, but is doable. Has 800lb breaking strength. The whole thing "pings-ping ping pings" as it stretches. Carries each half in a sil nylon bag. So 2 bags that get kicked thrown down the mountain as one repels. Otherwise such long lengths of tiny cord is a serious cluster @$#*&(!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools