Topic

How long do fuel canisters last?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How long do fuel canisters last?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alan henson

@355spider

Locale: DFW

I guess a better question is how many cups of water can they boil?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There are many variables.

One stove I own is specified to boil two liters of water on 1 ounce of butane blend fuel. However, they don't state the starting temperature or the conditions.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It depends

8 ounce net canister = 32 pints?

You should weigh it before and after, remember how many cups you boiled, and figure it out for your situation

There are many threads and articles about this

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Article by Will Reitveld here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lightweight_canister_stoves_test_report.html

Covers your question, based on testing a number of different stoves under various conditions. Subscription to read full text, I believe.

Example: He estimates "gas mileage" for a Snow Peak Gigapower (my stove) under field conditions at around 8 quarts (~ liters) per 4 oz canister. "Field conditions" mean moderate flame, variable wind, and some sort of wind screen.

Wind screens for canister stove is another topic (and one you should research), but performance will be pretty bad without.

Edit: Obviously, 4 oz canister ~ 8 qts. is consistent with Jerry's answer above, and the spec on Bob's stove.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

here is another article I have found useful and have referenced a few times.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/comparative_fuel_efficiency_and_weight_of_stoves_pt2.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools