Topic

What’s Your UL Fly and Bubble Rig?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara What’s Your UL Fly and Bubble Rig?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    David Affleck

@utcoyote

Mike, would you care to share any details of materials and construction method of your grill? At only 1 oz, it looks like the schnizz!

– Dave

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I use some short (bmx) Ti spokes and then a section of an Easton arrow shaft (drilled) and then found aluminum tubing at Ace hardware that perfectly nested into the arrow shaft section- the spokes nest in the tubing- so you have just a small package that is easily stashed

more details here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=4446

David Affleck

@utcoyote

Perfect – I see one in my immediate future – thanks!

– Dave

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

As stated in a previous post a 2.0oz Leatherman PS4 comes with functional pliers and scissors. It is probably one of the best backcountry fishing tools around. I used to carry the Leatherman Micra, but the PS4 is much more functional. Great tool for the fishing kit.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Mike, That is a cool set-up for grillin' up some fish. I may have to re-think where I camp in the Sierras so I can have a small fire and eat me some fish! Thanks for the fish stories and the photo!

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderooscomcast-net

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Remember the bubble is really the weight that loads your rod tip in order to cast the fly and when you real in, even a bit, the fly will be dragged in the water. when fly fishing your drag teh fly a bit but then pull it off the water and have the advantage of flipping it back and forth in the air to dry it out. Therefore I would strongly encourage you to carry floatant if using a bubble rig.

In terms of technique, when I fish a bubble rig, I find that a slight bit of movement (an intermittent very slow retreive) can often trigger strikes.

If you are thinking about moving into fly fishing, I'd strongly encourage you to consider a "regular" rod and reel set because even though it is much heavier than Tenkara, it is also far more versatile. It really depends on how diverse the waters are you think you may fish.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools