Topic

Yet another tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Yet another tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I needed an 8 by 10 tarp for an family lake trip for the kids to get out of the sun, so a good excuse to make one. The reinforcement patches have the fabric weave at 45 degrees to the tarp.
    I have it up to seam seal. All the tips and photos of other projects I have seen on BPL were a big help.

Now I might as well make a bug bivy… One thing starts another. Gotta modify the handles too.

Sewing the tie-outs made me thing of Bridge of Konigsberg and the graph theory class I took.

8 by 10

side tie out

apex

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Looks good!

Did you glue the reinforcing pieces?

Is the 10 feet from peak to peak?

There must be a seam between two pieces of fabric that goes crossways rather than from peak to peak?

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Did you glue the reinforcing pieces? — Yes. I forgot to add some details.
    Used the GE Silicon II. It was sandwiched between 3/4 plywood, yoga mat, bakers paper.
    Put two 25 pound plates to press it together. Not really that much pressure.

Is the 10 feet from peak to peak? Yes — the long way.

There must be a seam between two pieces of fabric that goes crossways rather than from peak to peak?

I had 16 feet of material left over from the poncho project. It was 60 inches wide.
    The hammock guy (Ed Speer) did it this way. One of the pictures has the seam. It is a felled seam I found on BPL — maybe one of the Ham articles or yours.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I would have the seam from peak to peak, but now that you've done it crossways, I wonder why?

Easier to make cat curve, but that isn't necesary.

Efficient use of 16 feet of material cross ways.

So, were the two pieces lined up when you got to the end of sewing the seam?

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Jerry,

I went round and round on cat vs flat.

I settled on it just being used as a flat tarp which I can setup any way I want. Two feet less of felled seam and used all my material.

Lined up — I pinned the pieces together and also witness marked it every six inches. It didn't creep. I kept a grip on the front and back ends. The ends lined up to answer your question.

I did sew over a corner for about two feet until I realized it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"I did sew over a corner for about two feet until I realized it."

I always let out one curse when I do that

Then laugh hilarously

Then rip it out and continue on my way…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools