Topic

Montbell Super Stretch bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Super Stretch bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jonathan:

What's your height and weight?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

What about taking the thermal sheet and removing the zipper and making it a bit more narrow? I'm tempted to try for only $122. Of course I've got 20 yards of $1 yard wallyworld fabric here working on quilt designs too…

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

I am 5'10" 170 lbs. I have also considered making a quilt but the fabric I got from Wal-Mart is so ugly, but it was $1.00 a yard. It is white and the grid pattern is black.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Johnathan,
    For a few years now I've been using the oldstyle MB superstretch #5, which is equivalent to the #7 except that it has NO zipper and hence no drafts to contend with. It's so stretchy that getting in is quite easy. Early last Spring I was in the Cascades near Stevens Pass camped out on the snow (air temp that night dropped below freezing) and I was plenty comfy. I was inside an old REI Cyclops bivy and wore Terramar silk longjohns, wool balaclava, and wool socks. Also, I used a 3 oz vapor barrier liner. I own heavier bags but seldom use them, except when in Montana, as they overheat. The trick is to keep in mind that while sleeping you'll be transpiring lots of moisture through breath and skin pores, which the down will soak up and thus lose insulating effiency; that's why many people start out the night toasty warm and wake up a few hours later shivering. Anyway, that 1 lb. bag along with the rest of my "system" has served me well for some time now…figgure out what will work best for you!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jonathan:

You are definitely at the borderline for the slimmer cut Thermal Sheet. If I were you — then for a summer bag — I would just order both the TS and the No. 7 and try them out. If you don't move around much, then the TS can work beautifully and it is also amazingly ight — so definitely worth finding out. On the other hand, if you thrash around a lot, then either a No. 7 or even a Super Stretch No. 7 might be more appropriate.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Just to clarify, all down #7s are Super Stretch. The synthetic #7s in exceloft come in S.S. or Alpine(inner stretch only).

It wasn't always this way. I have an old #7 Alpine zipperless which is SS.

Not trying to contradict you, Ben, was following your discussion and chimed in.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sorry, my bad. The non-super-stretch versions only come in No. 1, 3, and 5 — plus the Thermal Sheet.

Brett .

@brett1234

I finally got around to measuring the double layer loft of my 1-lb Montbell #7 down bag. At the baffles it's 10cm, in between baffles it is 13cm. Average of about 4.5". This is a 2006 725 fill power.
    I did not fluff it up, just shook it like you would 'snap' a towel and layed it out. A good rule of thumb is 2" of single layer loft for a 20'F bag, so this bag can be pushed quite a bit lower than it's 50'F rating.
    First week of May I'm taking it on an Alpine trip where lows are forecast to be 0'C. I'll report back. Of course, if I don't report back; consider that a report also..

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Brett,

As you know, I'm a big fan of "all things MB", and do own a few MB bags (both "wimpy" 725FP and ExcelLoft – all SuperStretch versions – no Alpine). So, with this in mind to provide context for my following words…

Brett, we want you to come back. Please be sure to have a "Plan B", like some warm hi-loft clothes AND maybe a MB Thermal Sheet to use inside (or outside of the #7.

I anxiously await your report. I don't own a #7 in down, but I do in the synth (want to purchase one this Spring however – subject to other matters of which you are already aware; my MB Thermal Sheet is nice for summer, but i still like a hood when temps are merely cool or colder).

A #7 wouldn't work for me at those temps — 'pj-cicle'.

Brett .

@brett1234

pj, Thanks, I have contingencies; I will have my normal extra layer of thermawrap jacket and pants if necessary. My GF will be in a #3, and we will both be in a single-wall enclosed tent. So worst case we can nest the bags one inside the other and sleep together. Tested previously..
    I do want to determine the limits of that #7 though.

Also, I just made a post asking MYOG posters how I can join two bags into one big quilt?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sounds like an underhanded ploy to get your unsuspecting gf to snuggle in with you (or freeze to death)!

Brett .

@brett1234

Yes, she is a cold sleeper, so she will have little choice, and you know the old myth about sleeping bags being warmest when not wearing clothes. he he…

http://www.sleepnaked.org/

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

>>"http://www.sleepnaked.org/"

Brett, where do you come up with these things? Was it Franco or Ben who sent you that link? 'Fess up, now.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have nothing to do with this perversion!

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

After a lot of thought, I am going to make a quilt prototype in hopes of ordering a kit from AYCE at Thru-hiker.com. The $80 for 6 oz of fill sounds good and I like down better than a synthetic. Thanks for all the help and answers and suggestions. Good luck with that sleep naked thing. I hope you don't plan on loaning that bag to anybody else.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

My roommate sleeps naked… He usually goes to bed after I do and stays under the covers pretty well so its not too bad.

Anyway, I finished the down quilt kit recently and I love it. I would recommend the Kelly green fabric as it is very pleasing to the eye (looks like a JRB knockoff really). Good luck on the kit. I'm sure you'll love it once you're done.

Adam

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

I broke down and bought the thermal sheet. Even at 175 lbs and my 5'10" frame I have room in it. Anyone out there considering this bag will surely love it. thanks for the advice guys.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I see you've gained 5 lbs over the last few months. :)

Kidding aside, excellent choice! I love how the T.S. can be used alone — and how well it fits as a liner inside a regular MB bag.

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

thanks for noticing my weight gain Ben :) The T.S. worked great as a quilt the first night i used it. I just zipped up a little to make a footbox.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools