Topic

iphone service and guthook gps for Sobo PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) iphone service and guthook gps for Sobo PCT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    some guy

@hopining

Hey guys, I just recently just got an extrex 20 since I'll be going hiking the pct Sobo and was wondering if I should instead go for the iPhone gps with gut hook's pct app.

The main reason I ask this is because I also agreed to bring a SPOT so the folks don't worry. After looking through the spot website I noticed they had a SPOT-app and figured I could bring both on the iphone but save ~5 oz.

Also this would save me at least $100 if not more.

My only question now is can I use a GPS app and/or the Gut hook pct app without paying for a monthly cell phone plan? I've spent a lot of time removing myself off from any financial responsibilities in order to go on this thru-hike and would prefer keeping it that way (if possible).

Thanks for any responses in advance.

P.S. I know someone is going to say 'just use a map and compass' and I just want to say I already am but plan on bringing the gps as well just incase since I'm not too familiar with snowed terrain.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Hey someguy. You can definitely use the Guthook Apps without a data plan– all it really requires is a GPS signal, which doesn't require cell service, and to download the maps you could just use a wifi signal when you're in town. I would recommend using the iPhone sparingly, since the eTrex's batteries would last longer and be easily replaceable in the field, but if all you need is a spot check and a quick satellite fix, you could get several days of use out of the iPhone while leaving it in airplane mode most of the time. Just make sure to charge it when you get to town.

I'm not familiar with SPOT's iPhone app, so it might be worth sending their tech support people an email with the question.

Good luck on the trail!

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Just in case you didn't already know this…

The Spot app only works with the Spot Connect. It doesn't work with the regular Spot messenger.

As long as you are only doing the occasional location/coordinate checks on the GPS in your phone and sending the occasional message with the Spot Connect (or turning on the Spot tracking), the phone would last a long time because you can shut it off after a brief period of use. If you want to collect tracks with the GPS in your phone (leave it on with the GPS collecting tracks) then it's going to die pretty quickly).

So depends on how you plan to use it.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Before using your iPhone on your PCT hike, it's important to read the battery conservation section in the article: Instructions for using iPhone as Backpacking GPS/Mapping device.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools