Topic

New (to me) Dried Food Store

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition New (to me) Dried Food Store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

In the big city yesterday, we stopped at a Indian restaurant that had a small food store with no refrigerated items, a few canned goods (pureed mango) and some jars (garlic and ginger paste!), but two isles of dried foods and dried spices. Some will be unacceptable due to long cook times or excessive hot spices but others may be just fine for my BPing trips.

No, I do not know how to prepare many of them, but I can learn by practicing at home. I believe I do already know how to prepare Ramen noodles, but the included masala flavor packet is new to me. I can use a ziplock to carry lentils mixed with curry powder, and I will soon know if that particular ziplock spills in my food bag.

Since we could read the FDA required list of ingredients, my wife chose dried, powdered gooseberries and blackberries. The Indian names for those were unfamiliar to us. Almost all of the names where unfamiliar, but the ingredients told the story.

There were also sealed foil packets (MRE style) of common Indian dishes that I could haul on shorter trips, expecting to mix them with instant brown rice and noodles.

Curry may not be an appropriate supper dish to serve in bear country, and you may want to clean that pot before adding your oatmeal in the morning.

Check out the next Asian food store that you see. That may improve your BPing menu.

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

I live right by a great vietnamese market and often find things to take with me. Powdered coconut milk = delicious.

I will have to seek out a south asian market for some killer curry. Nice idea.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The spices are only spicy till you get used to eating them ;-)

If you have any questions on items, post photos, I worked for an Asian importer for a couple of years – I can tell you what to do with ingredients.

Also, you can always cook and dehydrate foods at home :-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools