Topic

Awesome Maltodextrin Deal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Awesome Maltodextrin Deal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

Honeyvillegrain is selling a 50lb bag of 100% maltodextrin for $55.48 delivered anywhere in the CONUS right now! That is $1.11/lb shipped! This includes a 15% discount through 5/22/2012. Tate & Lyle is a brewing supply company and malto is very commonly used in brewing where it is always 100% pure. Hope this helps someone.

Tate & Lyle Maltodextrin 50lb

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Hmm…I might order some of that for very long term use. I might add a little of it to my meal replacement shakes to give me a quick energy hit while I'm waiting for the slower digesting nutrients to get into my bloodstream.

Or maybe not. It'd take me 2-3 PCT thru hikes to deplete all that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Eugene, study that carefully. I think I saw something about the shelf life being one year in optimal conditions. It would take me until sometime the next century to use up fifty pounds of that stuff.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Thanks Bob. I probably wouldn't have ordered it. I already have years of powdered supplements in the pantry. That's really good to know that it has a short shelf life. Hopefully it'll sit for 3-4 month in poor conditions so that I could package all my powdered meals before my next thru hike.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I already have years of powdered supplements in the pantry."

Why?

Is it because it seemed like good stuff once upon a time, and then your taste changed?

Or did you decide something negative about the old stuff when you changed to the new stuff?

–B.G.–

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I seriously doubt that malto is bad after 12 months of "optimal" storage. In fact my maltodextrin that I use for homebrewing is 4 years old and hasn't killed me yet. I think this is more of a "best by" date that the manufacturer adds to encourage you to use it up quickly. This is sugar after all, it should be nonperishable.

EDIT: They seem to attach the 1 year shelf life to all their products including steel cut oats. Sorry but that is pure BS. Brewers are fine using whole grains which are 2 years old and can still brew award winning beers from them.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

I got a couple great deals. Some from a killer black friday deal, and the rest from a separate bulk order. I still use all of it.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Can anyone recommend a good brand of maltodextrin powder that mixes well with cold stream water?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I found this thread and wanted to caution anyone that may find it…… the Malto from Honeyville doesn't mix well with cold water. I highly recommend using an agglomerate Malto. See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72290

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools