Topic

Raw Blondie Brownies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Raw Blondie Brownies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Another raw recipe for bars. This one has sugar added so is sweeter than my others – but is also very tasty – so it is more appealing to those not used to raw nuts. The sugar can be cut back by half if desired or even left out but it makes the "taste".

Photobucket

Raw Blondie Brownies

Ingredients:

½ cup raw cashews
    ½ cup raw walnuts
    ½ cup raw pecans
    ½ cup raw macadamia nuts
    ½ cup brown sugar, scooped/not packed (or use coconut or palm sugar)
    12 Medjool dates, pitted
    ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/8 tsp fine sea salt

Directions:

In a food processor add the nuts and brown sugar, process until finely chopped. Add in the dates (if your dates are hard chop them up first) and process on high until the dates are finely chopped. Sprinkle the vanilla and sea salt on top, pulse until coming together.

Line an 8×8″ glass baking dish with plastic wrap or parchment paper, knock the mix into the pan and press with a spatula until even. Fold over the excess wrap and press down firmly to pack.

Refrigerate for an hour to set up before cutting. Wrap the pieces individually in wrap, keep refrigerated and eat within 2 weeks.

I cut ours into 8 bars.

~Sarah
    http://gazingin.com/2012/05/17/raw-blondie-brownies/

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Looks like homemade Larabars! I'm gonna try it with granulated maple instead of cane sugar…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ooh yum, that would be good! I have maple sugar on hand…yum! Trader Joe's is carrying it! PS: You should be able to use 2/3 the amount called for as well.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

wonder how it will hold up without refrigeration if you added some Almond or Coconut flour, an egg and Coconut oil and then bake it?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You could work on it to make a bar, coconut flour is trickier as it absorbs so much moisture where are almond doesn't.
    Overall though they last on thei own – but will get soft in heat. Still tasty though!

Nicholas Meadors

@nickoli

Locale: Teh Front Range

ahhhhhh! I no longer have to search for Larabars by the bulk in order to get them under a dollar a bar…these look glorious.

My roommate just got a Vitamix as well, I'm sure that will absolutely demolish of all these ingredients. I'm thinking a take on Larabar's key lime pie or lemon bar with a little bit of zest added?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

My husband got me a Vitamix, I love it! It works great :-D Especially if you have the dry pitcher!
    Making your own Larabars is so easy! Between my food processor, my Vitamix and Costco for dried fruit, Medjool dates and nuts, I do well!

Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

Great recipe.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I have been posting a new raw or mostly raw bar or ball recipe every week on my personal blog (The Gazing In one listed above). Made some tasty Raw-style Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies last night and am going to make a new raw brownies this morning! My kids love them so I am constantly trying out new ideas :-)

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

These look awesome. How well would these hold up packaged in ziplocks in a food bucket of varying for 3 weeks?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

How hot will the storage be? The one issue would be humidity/heat for the dates. But if cool and not in subtropics I don't see why not – people store dates out of the frig all the time!

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

ay there's the rub, well. Conceivably 80 for a week (here in socal), stored more towards 60-70 for 2 weeks, then varying temps on my back for about a week or two (30-75).

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yeah, I'd be wary….it could cause mold in dates since they are so damp/sticky.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools