Topic

Feedback on 2012 SMD Lunar Solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Feedback on 2012 SMD Lunar Solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilbertson
    Spectator

@mkgil

I'd appreciate some feedback on the new Lunar Solo. I had the old Solo some years ago. I liked the tent except for the condensation problem in certain conditions. I think the reason that the old Solo had more problems than my TT Contrail was because the fabric of the Solo was so close to my face when sleeping. The new upgrade claims to keep the tent farther away from one's head while sleeping. Has that been the experience of those of you who have the new model?

Michael

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

I purchased the older model last year and liked it but i found that their wasn't much room above my head and it was very difficult to get the net sides taunt. I desided to get the new model and so far, set it up once on the back yard it appear they have solved the issues i was having. Net sides are alot tighter and the higher pitch seems to give alot more head room. I am glad i tried the new model. Can't wait to get it out onto the trail.

Michael Gilbertson
    Spectator

@mkgil

Please let me know what you think after getting out on the trail. How many inches would you estimate the fabric is from your face when lying down?

Michael

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

If you need/want a little extra headroom with the Lunar Solo keep in mind that there's a tie-out right above your head. With your second trekking pole, some guyline, and an additional stake you can easily give yourself a couple more inches…
    Lunar Solo with Extra Tieout

Michael Gilbertson
    Spectator

@mkgil

Kevin, is that tie out also on the 2012 model? I know that Ron wanted to eliminate some tie outs with the redesigned model.

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

I finally got a round to taking some pictures of the 2012 set up

tentheight

so its about 18inch from the floor to the top around the head arealine
    I also found that adding 9inch of line to each of the tie outs allow me raise the whole tent up a little

Michael Gilbertson
    Spectator

@mkgil

Victor, thank you for the pics. I'll be curious about your opinion after you get a chance to take it out a few times.

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Are there tensioners/lineloks included on the tie-outs?

Matt Jones
    BPL Member

@mjones

I like the weight on the old one but the set up is a bit too tedious and I'm getting rid of mine. Hopefully the new one is easier.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

How do you think this would fit a 6'3" person, it looks pretty good from your pictures? Is the 18" height at the end of the 90" floor, or back a bit?

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

yes there are tensioners on the tie out lines

The 18" is right where my head is when I lay down on the 72" neoair. There is still room behind my head and below my feet. I'm 6feet tall and have been trying a lot of different tents over the last year. With this design tent the key for me is to have a high peak (sometimes even higher than recommended 50-51") creating steeper wall. Nerd alert::: do what I did and look up right triangle calculation on google and you can determine the height at any point along the floor:::

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools