Topic

Sunscreens

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was just reading this:
    http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/sunscreens-exposed/sunscreens-exposed-9-surprising-truths/

I'm not sure who EWG is but they source lot's of government and academic studies.

The effectiveness of sunscreens to protect against cancer and aging is questionable.

Sunscreens effectively reduce sunburn, but that may make cancer risk worse because you stay out in the sun more.

Effective sun protection is clothing (broad brimmed hat, long shirt and pants), staying in the shade, and avoiding mid day sun

Titanium and zinc is more effective. I've tried these and don't like them because they come off and make white everything that touches my skin. There's a question about the safety of accidentally inhaling it.

Avobenzone is better than oxybenzone. Retinol may cause cancer.

There are some other chemicals used in Europe that may be more effective but they're not allowed in the USA

You need at least 30 minutes of mid day sun per week to produce vitamin D.

etc. etc…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools