Topic

OMM Kamleika Race Smock, Jacket, and Pants Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable OMM Kamleika Race Smock, Jacket, and Pants Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Personally, i think OMM's stand-out garment is their eVent Cypher Smock.
    My size Large weighs 258g.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Mike – I agree that the Cypher Smock is a great shell as well, and speaks to the quality, value and focus of OMM's design team. I'm glad you like your jacket! My statement was more to the fact that there are quite a few other lightweight eVent shells/smocks from other manufacturers.The Kamleika fabric is really what made these shells stand out for me, not compared against OMM's other jackets but in comparison to the market as a whole.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I'm enjoying your contributions, Danny.
    I like seeing what is available on the other side of the pond, and i'm sure US folks think likewise.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

I used the Kamleika pants recently in wet mist, rain and wind at 8'C, and finished the walk completely dry.

Iain M

@ommiain

Glad you are enjoying the gear, our development is all user lead development, if you have ideas or improvements or even new ideas we are always happy to hear you feedback, please email me Iain, at [email protected] Glad you are enjoying the Kamleika fabric and the minimalist Cypher ! Iain

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

I have had the Kamleika pants for 5 years: I've occasionally thought about reviewing them but since they're rare even in the UK I thought it would be of limited interest. So it's nice to see these reviews. In addition, other than for the colour of the zips the current pants appear to be similar to mine, so my comments will still be relevant despite the age of the pants.

My thoughts on the pants:

I wear the pants for cycle commuting in rain. The quiet, soft stretchiness is great for cycling and I find them sufficiently breathable. The ankle zips are usefully long. The problem I find is that I get water spotting through the fabric in the area on top of my thighs: this appears to be because the fabric in this area gets stretched and this opens up the knit: that combined with the fact that this area always faces the sky and has water sitting on it leads to leakage. I suspect that the Gelanots fabric is like Paramo and would leak if you put pressure on them, for example by kneeling in a puddle. It's never so much as to be uncomfortable or to really make my legs wet, but it is noticeable. My view is that despite that they are preferable to riding in most Goretex pants I own.

The fit is also not ideal for me. I'm 178cm (5'10") but the size XL is obviously designed for someone significantly taller than me and significantly slimmer – in other words, they're designed for fell runners. In order to get them to fit at all around the waist I had to remove the elasticated draw cord, as it was so strong it was cutting me in half (there is still elastic in the waist material itself). I also find the pants too long, which means that they bunch around the calf, kind of hanging out from the zippers .

If my memory serves me correctly Miguel may also have had some Kamleika gear.

mike parsons
    Spectator

@omm-mike

I just subscribed to bp lite for the first time to find this review of my Kamleika garments. They were my original concept although I am no longer the company owner. Or involved in any way.
    Yes they were designed for fell runners and lightweighters and the fit could be described as "'ectomorph' and I had the intention of laterv providing an endomorph fit as a second option rather than a ladies fit as likely to give best options alround for both males and females.
    the fabric is not directional a la Paramo as one commenter suggested but a hydrophyllic laminate to a knitted fabric. the only advice I can offer for bike riding performance is to try to ensure the pant legs are not pulled down tight so the constant fabric stretch isn't so severe .

the name Kamleika came from some research for my book Invisible on Everest, the innovator sand the gear makers. the Aleut Indian people of the Aluetian island s travelled much by kayak or rather 3 person Baidarkas and made their own waterproof jackets from whale or seal intestines. they even sealed the seams with glue and to test tied off the arms and neck with cord/sinew and filled with water. The last known use was around century ago.
    mike parsons, Patterdale, Lake District UK .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools