Topic

Winter Sleeping bag 0F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter Sleeping bag 0F

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dale Storti

@dalestorti

So I will be spending a semester next year in Leadville, Colorado. An item on the packing list is a synthetic sleeping bag rated to 0F. I have never been out west, but I've done a lot of backpacking over here in the catskills and other parts of New York. I'd prefer to buy a down bag, but It's apparently a must that I get a synthetic. I have a mountain hardwear lamina 35, and an insulated big agnes pad, as well as a sleeping bag liner from sea to summit that adds 10 degrees of warmth. I know that combination will not suffice, so I have been looking at the Montbell super spiral 0, TNF Snow leopard, and the MH lamina 0. I like my lamina, but it's just not that warm, and I have doubts about the 0F brother. Was wondering what advice you guys could offer me? Thanks in advance.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i've used the lamina at 0*f. i was wearing wool mountaineering socks and a mid-weight base layer and relativly thin liner hat. i also started the night with a hot water bottle at my feet. other than the bag being heavy and big in comparison to my wm antelope i was very happy with its performance.

Dale Storti

@dalestorti

Thanks Richard. I'll definitely take that into consideration. I wish i could get a down bag, but rules are rules :(

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

What rules? What organization?

Dale Storti

@dalestorti

So it's a school called High Mountain Institute. http://www.hminet.org/

And the packing list specifically states that if we bring a down bag, we will be forced to rent a synthetic bag. I don't understand it anymore than you do…..

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Sounds like someone at the school is a Ray Jardine fan.
    Let's be real; getting down wet in the Rockies takes some gross negligence, and is altogether pretty unlikely.
    I've had a wet synthetic bag due to my own stupidity, it's effing miserable, much the same as wet down. Nothing is warm when it's wet.

So as not to derail the thread too far:
    If you're only gonna buy it for this one semester, maybe take a look at the Kelty Cosmic 0F as well. It's crazy cheap and gets good reviews.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools