Topic

Good powdered rice milk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Good powdered rice milk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I only drink rice milk…I know lots of folks like almond, but I find it too viscous. When I drank milk, I always opted for skim. I'm wondering how easy it is to dehydrate my own. I saw the post on drying almond milk, but since rice milk is so thin, was wondering if it would work the same way. Or barring that, what brand would be best to go with.
    Thanks!

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

Interested in this too. My son can only drink Rice or Almond Milk. It would be an nice suprise to have on the trail at Philmont this summer.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.btmsoymilk.com/ You can find this in many grocery stores now, often hidden in the cereal aisle or online via Amazon.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Does anyone have any experience with this rice milk? Organic with protein…
    http://www.growingnaturals.com/store/index.php/products/rice-drink-powder-silky-smooth-original.html sorry I don't know how to do a link on this forum.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What brand of powdered rice milk have you already tried?

Garth Collier
    BPL Member

@garthc

Locale: Singapore

Great thread…i only drink rice milk and have been wanting to get some powdered rice milk…i also would be interested to hear if anyone can recommend a brand…

cheers

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

@Doug, actually none. I've used Nido powdered whole milk for backpacking,(reminds me of my mother's attempts to stretch her milk budget when I was a child….could smell it a mile away, even when she cut it half and half with real milk.) I don't drink milk at home…I liked that the one I listed has added protein,the same protein as whole milk, whereas most don't have much protein at all. Was just curious if anyone had tried it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ick my mom did the same thing and thought she could trick us by adding it to real milk in the carton,it never worked.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Well I went ahead and ordered from the link I posted. I'll report back for you all that expressed interest.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

My mom actually thought I was gonna drink prune juice…no way hosea.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Yeah, I was hoping to find some in my local organic market, but they didn't have any. Sorry!

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Leigh,

How was the rice milk?

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Leigh,

Any news regarding your test of that powdered rice milk? Is it a keeper?

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Sorry for not following thru and reporting on the rice milk! I should remember to hit the "watch this thread" when I make promises! I've been off hiking and paddling and completely forgot :-)
    I have to say I really liked it! I used it over granola and freeze-dried fruit with cold water each morning on my trip and it was quite good. It didn't seem to be grainy which was my fear, but then with what I ate it with that was a little hard to discern.
    I have yet to try mixing it in a large batch for home use in place of the Rice Dream I usually use, but won't get an opportunity to do that at present; I'll be away from home for the next couple of weeks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools