Topic

Hexamid Solo or Flat Tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hexamid Solo or Flat Tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I'm trying to lighten my load some more. I can do so with either a cuben fiber flat/shaped tarp or a Hexamid Solo tarp both by Zpacks. I would probably just get the Hexamid with no netting. Those of you who have chosen a Hexamid over a regular flat or shaped tarp, what was your thinking in the decision? How is that working out for you now? If I chose a flat tarp it would be a 9×7 so that I would not need a bivy. Does the Hexamid solo need a bivy?

Any advice on this is welcomed.

Jason

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

I know that I haven't given this much time but I'm impatient!

Thanks for any help or advice.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I got a hexamid solo with netting because it was the lightest shelter I could find which would protect me from bugs and be fast and easy to pitch well. Shaped tarps tend to be easier to pitch, but you have less options in how you pitch. As to using the hexamid without a bivy… it's possible to use without a bivy. In a bad storm, especially with blown rain I would want either a bivy, a door, or the extra beak… mostly because I move a lot when I sleep, I overheat so my quilt is often open so it extends beyond the edge of my sleeping pad. It would be possible to manage without one of these IF you don't move much when you sleep and you use a ground cloth which is small enough to it doesn't collect the blown rain, but keeps your quilt / bag from touching the ground.

–Mark

Ed Schmidt

@suttree

Locale: ON, CANADA

Jason,

I hiked the PCT with a 5×8 tarp and the CDT with a hexamid solo (tarp only).

>a Hexamid over … a tarp, what was your thinking in the decision?

I prefer the hexamid to a tarp because it offers more usable space with less fabric. A tarp (esp. a flat 9×7) would offer a wider range of pitches at a marginal campsite or in poor weather.

>Does the Hexamid solo need a bivy?

This depends on your trip and your own preferences. I did fine on the divide without a bivy – site selection is key.

-ed

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Mark and Ed, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with the Hexamid and the tarp. There are all of these wonderful decisions and the near gear available just adds to the process. I currently use a bivy and a MLD Pro Poncho. I like the flexibility of that system but once again I'm looking at getting even lighter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools