Topic

Wool batting?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wool batting?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Emily B

@emilyb

Anyone ever use wool batting, or toyed with the idea? For quilt, insulated clothing, pillow, etc? I'm guessing it's heavy enough to put it out of the running for bigger things. Just curious.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

There was a thread about this a while ago. Sheep's wool and other animal fibers (alpaca, quiviut, brush-tail possum fur, etc.) were discussed as potential fill materials for a quilt or jacket. You may be able to find that thread using the search tool.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I use wool batting to stuff knitted and felted toy animals. It is pretty heavy and even if you fluff it to get some decent loft, it will compress pretty quickly. It would be great for a really warm quilt for home use, but i don't think it is fit for carrying.
    my 2 cents

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Kat,

You make stuffed toys? I haven't seen them on your site.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Matt, I make them, but not for sale. They take a lot of time and I can't charge enough.
    I make them for friends and family, as presents. Here are a few, stuffed with wool batting. They were knitted first, very loosely, then felted to shrink them, then stuffed.
    Koala, Alpacas and crazy Hedgehogs. A couple pair of felted booties also.

Koaka

alpacas

hedgehogs

booties

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Very cool, Kat. It makes sense that you make a lot of stuff just for fun or personal reasons. I remember my mom making handicrafts when I was growing up for family, friends and school functions.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Some of the older military folks can chime in if I'm wrong, but I have a "GI" type parka that I believe has (super thick, like almost 2") wool batting. It is super old, has a coyote fur ruff, weighs about 10 pounds, and is almost too warm to wear even in the coldest weather northwest Washington has to offer. It came paired with some insane rubber vacuum insulated boots. I can't remember where my brother found it.

Ray Bailly

@tempestv

The vacuum boots sound like Mickey boots (black) or Bunny boots (white), which were part of the Army cold weather system during the Korean war. The boots also feature wool insulation, and are rated for -20 for the black boots and -65 for the white boots.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

yup, white. Also weigh about 10lbs…. a piece :P

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Kat:

Mind if I ask where you got the pattern for that Koala? That is way too cute and my nephew needs one.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Nancy, the pattern is from Fiber Trends. You may be able to get it online. Ravelry, the online knitting community also may have it in their pattern repository.
    If you can't find it I can send you a copy if mine.
    Katharina

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Some of the older military folks can chime in if I'm wrong, but I have a "GI" type parka that I believe has (super thick, like almost 2") wool batting. It is super old, has a coyote fur ruff, weighs about 10 pounds, and is almost too warm to wear even in the coldest weather northwest Washington has to offer. It came paired with some insane rubber vacuum insulated boots. I can't remember where my brother found it."

Not military folk here…. But I will chime in to say that your 2" coat is felted wool, not batting. Nothing can be sewn out of batting, as it is loose wool that you can tug apart. Batting, and the combed version~ roving, can be felted into a thick, dense material, Felt.
    Batting works as stuffing in between layers, somewhat like down but way heavier.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools