Topic

Another Reason to go UL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

As if anyone on this site needed another justification for lightening up their load, I was just watching CNN's Fit Nation something or other and they said the following: A 1 pound gain in body weight puts an additional 4 pounds of pressure on the knee when walking.
    So, assuming you carried a traditional 45 lb pack, you would be putting an extra 180 pounds of stress on your knees. If you then lightened up and carried a modest 20 lb load (80 pounds of stress on the knees), you would in effect be taking 100 pounds of stress off your knees. Pretty cool.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

This ought to be the UL mantra.

Eric

david chan

@davidc-1

When I hike each leg comes to a full stop every pace, and then has to be accelerated again for the next pace. It also has to be lifted from the ground before it can move forward again. Meanwhile my body proceeds at a steady speed and constant height.

Isn't it more true then that "1 lb. on knees = 4 lb. on body". Anyone know any good excercises for losing weight from the knees?

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Have your knees replaced with titanium knees (see Gear Shop — oops, they're currently out of stock) or just go kneeless.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools