Topic

Temperature levels for Capilene

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Temperature levels for Capilene

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

At what temperatures would you use various Capilene levels?

1?
    2?
    3?
    4?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

cap 1 & 2 work year round for on the move stuff, cap 3&4 work fine as a mid layer on the move (talking cold temps here) or as a base layer for very sedentary activities ie duck hunting, ice fishing- I think the R-1 stuff works better as a mid-layer which leaves Cap 3 & 4 as not overly useful

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have a Cap 1 ss shirt, which I never really wear.

I have a Cap 2 ls crew shirt which I love. I have carried it the last few summers for sleep/early morning hikes. I like that it is long sleeve since it keeps the spider webs from collecting in my arm hairs! It is actually almost a mesh like material so it breaths well too.

I also have worn the cap 2 as my next to skin base layer the last few winters with my beloved R1 right over the top. This has been an excellent combination for me here in the southeast area. If the wind is strong and it is cold I can throw a windshirt over them. At camp I can layer my down insulation over it. Great stuff.

I have no experience with 3 or 4.

As I mentioned above, I do have the R1 Flash Pullover. It has Cap 4 at the arm pits, sleeve cuffs and at the waist hem. It is a bit stretchy so it allows a wide range of motion without the shirt riding up, plus it forms a seal so sneaky winds can't come in. When this wears out, I will replace it… I love the R1 stuff and hope the never stop making it…

Also, I will admit that I recently picked up a 200 wt IceBreaker ls shirt at a great deal. If I like it once it gets here, I will probably retire the Cap 2 as my winter base layer and use the IB shirt. I really hope that the IB shirt does not accumulate the stench that the Cap 2 can…

David Vo

@sygyzy

I tried to get Patagonia to give me temp ratings but to cover their ass, they refused. Instead, they said that ever person's body is different so you have to choose accordingly. I will tell you that Cap 1 is pretty much silkweight. I wouldn't wear it for anything other than underwear for sleeping, and definitely only if I had a good bag, covers, or insulation on. Most of my Capilenes are of the #2 variety. I use them for hikes, working out, or just to work. I think it's the most versatile. 3 is good for a mid layer and 4 would be top. I don't think I even have any 4 and I rarely/never use 3. So in other words, stock up on Capilene 2.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

For what sorts of activities?

I've sweated through Cap 2 in 15-20º (F) weather from snowshoeing uphill.

IMO, synthetic base layers should be as light as possible so I don't use Cap 3 or 4 under any conditions. My body is generally warm and produces a lot of sweat. If Cap 2 is too light, then I often add a gridded fleece.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, base layer should be as light as possible

if you want insulation, down or synthetic (Apex or whatever) has more warmth for the weight

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I like Cap 1 for my base layer, but just as many like Cap 2- while Cap 2 is a little heavier material- the weave is a little more open and thus breathes better

a person is going to have to figure what works best for them

no reason for Patagonia to tell you what temperatures each will work at, clothing systems don't work that way- very much is dependent on your activity, individual metabolisms, weather (in addition to temp- ie humidity, wind, precip, etc)

I wear Cap 1 from January 1 to December 31- in the summer months it is often the only upper layer I wear, in the winter it is my most inner layer so I would say it's good from -20 F to 90 F :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools