Topic

4.2oz Cuben/M50 Bivys

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 4.2oz Cuben/M50 Bivys

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

As many of you know, I've been selling our Standard Bivys for quite awhile. They've been selling quite well, and over 70% of those go to members here on this great site, so I first wanted to say thank you for that!

Since the beginning of the year, I have had probably about 8-9 people ask me about possibly making these with a cuben floor. I was hesitant at first, having never sewed cuben before. I had heard stories of how hard it was to sew, and so for the longest time, we decided not to venture into the world of cuben. A few weeks ago, I decided I would try it. I ordered a few yards and put together some stuff sacks, and it really wasn't too bad. Just takes patience.

Joe Bernier contacted me a couple weeks back asking about the possibility of making a cuben floored bivy. I decided to go for it this time.

As of this morning, the finished result is in. Joe's was a standard length/standard girth, side zipper model. It came in weighing 4.4oz on the dot. Not too shabby. A standard chest zipper model weighs only 4.2oz. I was hoping to break the 4oz barrier, and make it into the high 3's, but by trimming it down to get it that low, it would sacrifice the roominess that has made these bivys popular.

The top on these is black Momentum 50, with a nanoseeum(.7oz) netting hood.

These are now posted up on the website, and are available for purchase:
    http://ulgear.blogspot.com/p/cuben-bivy.html

cuben1

cuben2

cuben3

stuffed cuben

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Very nice! I wish I had seen this a few days ago as I sure would have ordered one… And while I sure do love my cuben…even those silnylon bivys are nice…I will definitely keep these in mind and have bookmarked your site!

Tell me though, how does the M50 do with very much spray/splash?

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

A question on sizing:
    I use a regular length neoair xlite with a 20 degree quilt. Would regular sizing be fine? I had a titanium goat bivy before but felt it waay to constricting so I am more conscious about giving myself more room for my next bivy.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Chad,
    I'm really a big fan of the M50. I've found it to be just as water repellant as M90, and possibly even better. I used to own an M90 bivy, but after I saw how good the DWR was on the M50, I moved to it for the weight savings.

Samuel,
    It depends on how much you weigh, but as long as you are under ~200lbs, a regular width would work just fine with that combo. Maybe an inch or two extra on girth to make sure, but the weight gains on that would be negligible, maybe .05oz at most. These are roomy bivys compared to some others out there (especially the footbox), so you would have lots of room.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

John,

I sent you an e-mail about a bivy.

susan

Joseph Clark

@applevalleyjoe

Locale: Mohave Desert

John, i just ordered one of your M90 bivvies the other day and am looking forward to its arrival. I was under the impression that Cuben was pretty fragile…why not use it as the top half of the bivvy instead and something more durable on the bottom? Thanks.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Joseph,

The reason why the cuben can't go on top is because it isn't breathable. This would cause condensation to get trapped inside, getting everything wet.
    This .74oz cuben is surprisingly tough. With reasonable care in site selection, its no problem to take care of.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

John pm inbound

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools