Topic

Quilt as insulation layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Quilt as insulation layer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Bergman

@aaronb50

Has anyone tryed this? I have a synthetic 25° quilt and was wondering if it's practical/possible to wear it instead of a vest.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Hey Aaron. I used a wearable quilt last season and it worked well as an insulation layer around camp. It definitely looks a little unfashionable around the campfire, but who cares it's got 10 ozs of down! There's a post about it somewhere in MYOG if you're interested.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Aaron,

I have a Jacks R Better Sierra Sneiviler which can be worn.

I have to say that it is a bit bulky and dorky looking, but it works if you are standing around.

If you want to sit down to eat your dinner or just sit down period, the excess material can drag on the ground and get your quilt dirty.

It is not possible or practical to hike with it on….again, the bulk is the problem.

Could easily snag on brush or branch etc and damage it.

Wearing it and putting on a pack…don't think that would work either.

For me, I still carry an insulation layer because I can wear it while hiking, if I need to.

The benefit seems to be that while my insulation layer (Montbell Thermawrap Jacket) might be thin/light enough to hike in, it might be too cold when just standing around camp. Having the wearable quilt does a nice job in providing additional warmth.

Just prepared to look uber dorky.

-Tony

Aaron Bergman

@aaronb50

I agree. A more fundamental problem is that if you need insulation like that during the day, your gonna want to wear it an night in addition to the quilt, so its not practical either Thanks

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you can actually wear your quilt while actively hiking during the day without overheating, then you are going to freeze when the sun goes down unless you have a bunch of warm clothes in your pack (in that case, why aren't you wearing that clothing instead?). It's exclusively an around camp item.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools