Topic

What is your preferred footwear in the Winds?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is your preferred footwear in the Winds?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Peterson

@skik2000

Locale: Boulder, CO

What does everyone use? I'm going on a week long trip in July/August and am likely going to pick up a new pair of shoes. Right now I've got an old pair of Montrail shoes and some heavy weight Asolo leathers. I'm probably looking at something like the Montrail AT Plus or some mids with Gore Tex. Of the 7 days 2 of them will be off trail. The only reason I'm thinking of mids w/Gore Tex is because anything can happen weather wise in the Rockies. Otherwise, it'd be a trail runner or light hiker.

What do you use?

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

I was happy in 07 Hardrocks a couple years ago. And I was off trail up in Titcomb Basin, Knapsack Col. Mid July, decent snow year. I did have a couple fords that I would rather not do barefoot. And luckily, it didn't rain on me… much. A couple afternoon thundershowers.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

When I read the thread title I thought in terms of trail surface and not of weather. I used trail runners, but I use those everywhere. You will cross some creeks; I recall walking through one creek while a big group was spread out along the bank in process of taking off or putting back on their heavy boots.

But it is some rocky trail in there. I still favor trail runners, but for someone on the fence about footwear, it might be an area where they would incline towards some sort of boot.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My personal experience is that I find trail runners much more stable than boots. However, while I do some off trail hiking, I avoid talus (more concern for my dog than for myself). Low gaiters are a good thing to have to keep gunk out of your shoes, to say nothing of keeping mosquitoes from biting through your sock tops.

It might help to know that Wind River guidebook author Nancy Pallister wears a crampon-compatible low cut shoe, even for climbing. And there are tons of streams and bogs to cross. Per Nancy: "Your feet will get wet in the Winds." Might as well have a fast-drying shoe!

John Peterson

@skik2000

"I still favor trail runners, but for someone on the fence about footwear, it might be an area where they would incline towards some sort of boot."

I botched my original post. I'd rather a low cut shoe but the debate comes in due to weather. Gore Tex seems unnecessary for a low cut shoe because water will just come in from the top. That is why I proposed a mid GTX. If your feet get wet they will obviously get pretty cold and that might not be ideal in the high country. I guess during the summer the temps still stay high enough that you are fine while walking and just need to change into dry socks once you get to camp.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I did the Wind River Crest Trail as described in Backpacker magazine last year in late August in NB trail runners with no problem.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

John Peterson

@skik2000

Nice link, thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools